Extremely attached toddler. Need advice =)

I've been a single Mom since my son was born, and next month he will be two years old. Ever since he was able to be clingy he has been! I thought it was just a phase but when will it end? I did breast-feed and just stopped a couple months ago. I also was terminated from my job so I haven't worked since February, so we spend even MORE time together... I had to move in with my parents but my son cries for me and doesn't ever seem to want to go to his grandma, his grandpa, or even my sister his aunt. When they want to play with him or pick him up the first words out of my very talkative toddler is Mama mamamamamama. When I have to go somewhere without him he cries with who ever he is with for long periods of time and won't be comforted. I knew at one point this was a normal phase but this seems a little extreme and now I have another baby on the way and I'm so tired of it. haha. He wants me and only me 24/7. And when I do have to go somewhere and say I leave him with grandpa, when I come home I see he is JUST FINE but as soon as he sees me he starts whining and crying.. seems like sometimes he's even forcing himself to do it.
What am I doing wrong or what things should I implement to break him of this? I really need some experienced advice. =) My parents make fun of him for always crying for me and I don't like that either. I never sneak out on him, if I have to leave I tell him whats up and we say good bye even through all his tears. help =/

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 3:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 3year old that is like this. I had to send him to his grand parents in a dif state and whenever I call he acts all excited and then he is crying, not throwing a fit but pitiful crying saying he wants me to come get him and that he misses me. I feel so bad but I just tell him that he has to be strong and that they are fun and that he will come back soon. Doesn't really work. Mine doesn't do it if I'm just at the house and I go to school. He will just tell me that he will miss me. He knows how it makes me feel, turd.
    Well I know this didn't help but just sayin your not alone. He has done it before but it seems like now he is worse. And I am married so it's not like I'm the only one around. I just take it and spend the time with him I know I won't get when he gets older. I take advantage of it. Hope you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Aw =( Thank you =))
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• my daughter is in that phase. she loves to be with me. its difficult to leave ect but it will get easier. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You are not doing anything wrong! My daughter is the same way and she is turning 3. For the first year she never let anyone else hold her except me, even her daddy. She still has separation anxiety pretty bad but it's getting better.
    I do think you should NEVER sneak out because it can make it worse. I always tell my DD that I'm leaving and that I will be back and that I ALWAYS will come back and tell whomever is taking her that when I need to leave distract her so she will forget about me leaving. They say she usually cries not even 2 minutes. She used to cry for hours when I was gone. I ended up just taking her everywhere with me because no one wanted to watch her. Two day cares even told me they wouldn't watcher her because they needed to give the other kids more attention.
    He WILL grow out of it. And I wouldn't let my parents make fun of my kid for that, ever.
    llomeli

Answer by llomeli at 10:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2011