What do you think of Online colleges?Rip offs?

I was thinking of attending an online school (Strayer), but I went to ripoffreport.com and there are tons of bad reports on online schools (including strayer) such as Kaplan and others. Are they not accredited schools? Are their degrees acceptable? have you been to one and is it worth it? Are the professors helpful or are they really out for money? I was supposed to start Jan 12th but I'm not so sure about it, now.

babycakes254

Asked by babycakes254 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm sure that there are some creditable online schools, but there are more that aren't!
    My suggestion would be to enroll at your local uni or community college and take their online courses. The college that I attended offered almost all of their courses online. Made it really convenient!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think some of them are, it also depends on your field. Like nursing. are you kidding me? Who learns nursing online? You can't! You have to just keep checking into them and find the ones that are accredited

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I attend University of Phoenix and its accredited and everything. I did go to Kaplan and got scammed big time. The key in knowing what school is good is to look up accredition and call and ask 101 questions. If they allow for student loans then that means they met to requires by the dept of education and should be alright. There are many complaints online and many of them are made by students who didnt cut it in college and want to complain. I would stay away from Kaplan though. I had major surgery and it wasnt planned. I called to move my classes and they did. Then got an email asking me to log in which I did. And then they charged me for the 2 classes I had moved. I left after that then started really looking into the colleges first. Also some comm colleges offer online and if you can call yours its cheaper and better then any other. National University is also a good online college btw.

Answer by gemgem at 10:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I used Kaplan, now I'm 9k in debt and I still have only a 1/3 of the credits needed for my BA
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• yea im also looking to the college here, I think they do online classes. I had a friend do Phoenix and she graduated and has a job and everything. My best friend is currently attending Strayer..she hasn't had problems. I get creeped out by the ripoffreports though!
    Kaplan has ALOT of reports of fraud.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• custom are you still attending?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Well, if you researched and found bad reports, I would definately stay away from it. I tried Penn Foster, I thought it was a rip off, because the materials they sent me could be found anywhere on the internet FREE. I would still to a university that offers on line classes.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Im attending Kaplan and Im not having a problem. I went to Ashford and didnt like trying to find all the custom textbooks.

You have to remember that youre paying for the convenience!
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 12:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Everyone I know that has gone with the University of Phoenix liked it and got their degree. I did one term at Kaplan and I got scammed with my financial aid and none of my credits are transferable. My husband got his bachelors at the Devry University. He went to the campus and did some online and got his MBA at Devry's graduate school, Keller, online. Now Devry's online courses are a bit pricey, but they are long established accredited university and a great school. Good luck.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 12:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I am in my 3rd semester of graduate school at California University of Pennsylvania, which is accredited. They offer an online MA in Tourism Planning & Development. It is a good program if you are interested in Tourism. I am working my thesis now, which, I must say, is very hard. The program cost is about $4000 a semester including books and fees, which is a good price for a master's degree. I have been on an accelerated path attending in consecutive semesters including a full-time summer session so I will complete the requirements having been in school for only 18 months. The program is impressive. I cannot honestly say how it will serve me when I am finished, but the education is great, the program director Dr. Ryan is outstanding, and the cost is reasonable. I am planning to continue on to a doctorate anyway. I hope you find this information helpful. More program information is available at the Cal U website (www.cup.edu).
    hay7666

Answer by hay7666 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2008