Do you allow your children to stay up later at night during the Summer?

and if so how much later?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep, a couple hours. During the school year they go to bed at 8pm. In the summer it is still light until 9pm so they are usually outside until around 9-9:30pm. Then they come in and get showers and go to bed around 10pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes. We stay up until we feel like it. No set time really. Some nights we go to bed at 10, some nights midnight. In the summer we pretty much do whatever we want to do. No schedule. My kids only get 6 weeks of it though. Sports start in 6 weeks then were back on a semi schedule.

Answer by gemgem at 4:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I let them stay up 1/2 hour later. I don't want their bodies to get too far off of their regular rhythm that they have a hard time when school starts back.

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• we just take it day by day. If we are doing something and they stay up later, then thats fine. If we are just sitting at home, I usually put them to bed at the same time as during school. Mommy needs that break after bedtime too :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 4:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Around here it doesn't get dark until after 10pm so my son says he can't sleep if there is still some light in the sky so yes I do let him stay up until the sky becomes dark then he has to go to bed. He doesn't need to be up until 8:30 anyway
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Usually no, but this summer I am watching my nieces and they are not picked up till about 10 and their mom wants them to stay up so she can put them to bed, So I have moved bed time to about 10:30. Everyone gets up still about 7am, so every one has to nap... so far this hasn't been an issue.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• yes,he is also 15YO
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 8:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Answer by wheresthewayout---Around here it doesn't get dark until after 10pm so my son says he can't sleep if there is still some light in the sky so yes I do let him stay up until the sky becomes dark then he has to go to bed. He doesn't need to be up until 8:30 anyway

Have you tried room darkening curtains it is the same way here and we put up the room darkening curtains and it has helped and my son goes to bed at 9 PM he used to say the same thing also.

Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Yes summer we have no set curfew
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 12, 2011