Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you call child protective services?

This is about my sister. Her two kids are going on 11 and 9. They have NEVER been to public school, and she CLAIMS to be homeschooling them. I think she is doing their work for them and turning it in. Her daughter, which is 11, CANNOT even add 5 + 5. She can't even read simple road signs. I haven't been around the other one much, but from what I know, he watches videos online all the time. He has even attempted to choke her, my sister, once. They have also been living with her in-laws, in the BARN, for the the past two years. I just found out not too long ago that they have NO running water in the barn, and have to go to the in-laws house to shower and eat. Yet my sister can afford to have two cell phones, internet in the barn and vehicles and computers, but not get their own place. Her husband makes enough to afford a place for them, yet he wastes their money buying guns. He spent $3000.00 on a gun and the ammo for it. He now wants another gun. I have tried to let her take care of her own kids, but as their Aunt, I just don't think I can sit back and take it any longer. Its ridiculous and their education is everything, and to me I think she has ruined them. I am just very upset. I want to call SS on her, but I cannot take them into my home because I have no room for them. They also have a lot of emotional problems to deal with and are going to need a lot of therapy. Should I stop bullshitting around and just call SS and get it over with, or let her keep wasting their years away and potential for a better future?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • NNNNNNNNO! call social service now the kids life is at stake. At 11 your niece should be alot more advanced than she is and if the other one is hitting his mom that is a sign he is reaching out for help. No child family or not should live like that and you are there ticket out. You don't have to tell them your name but let them know the children are abused, not physically but mentally.....Please do it and don't feel bad your sister doesn't deserve children.

    Answer by dusty1962 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • i would call...if theres no room in your house then they will be put somewhere else.. the kids deserve better

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • You can try but as long as they are fed, clothed, she has records showing she is homeschooling, they seem loved, and she has witnesses (in laws) to say youre FOS and just interfering because ______insert BS answer there, then they wont do anything. But you can try.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I would.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • Is there any other family members that could possibly take these children in? I just think it is best if the children go where they may be familiar with and still have family. It is so sad. It is traumatic for children to be pulled away from the only place they know. I would try and talk to your sister again. Is there anyway you can take the kids from her a couple of time during the week, or help her? I would try and do anything possible before calling social services.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I live 4 hours away and my mom isn't the best person to take them. This has been a warning to her for years upon years now. She has cut contact with me for other reasons, because to makes up lies and believes them. I really think a lack of social contact has screwed her up for good in the head. She is mad at me for something I didn't even do and I have proof to show her I didn't do and others to tell her. She just made it up and believes it. So no one in my family can contact her, because she is screening our calls and has told us to leave her alone for good. I am scared something bad will happen to the kids in the end.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • Good luck Sweetie, I just have no idea what they will or can do, but good for you for trying.

    Answer by ochsamom at 4:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • They should at least have running water, but nope. I'm seriously mad that they have been there for two years and sometimes can't even take showers.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • Yes call child services, they will inspect the living conditions and if education is a concern they can ask the children basic questions to determine whether or not they are at the level they should be. They'll most likely be placed into foster care until their parents meet the requirements set up by child services.

    Answer by anon1986East at 5:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

Next question in Relationships
What's a Mom to do?

Next question overall (General Parenting)
What does DD mean?