Eating disorder with young children

My ds after we moved to grandmas and grandpas he would grab some food, would run hide. Hurry to eat the food he had. run and get more. he has stopped doing this once he realized that we did not have to worry about food any more. jurk face did not want us spending alot of money $150 in food a month with out couponing. will my ds have an eating disorder or a greater chanc of picking up that habbit? thanks!

Liveatmo

Asked by Liveatmo at 5:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• eating disorders like binge eating can develop in children who think that they won't be able to eat consistently. If he is now in a stable environment and you continue to reassure him that food is available and you don't have to worry then he will probably be okay.
    If it you think it might help, seek counseling to help him discuss his feelings with a professional. The psychologists can also give you more pointers on preventing an eating disorder if it's a major concern of yours.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• thanks for that. do you know how young it can start with eating disorders? my ds is 19 months.
    Liveatmo

Comment by Liveatmo (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Eating disorders are most prevalent in preteens/teenagers, but the seeds can be planted from the start. At 19 months he is unlikely to even remember it in a few years. Most adults have very few memories before they are three. Long term memory develops around 3 years old. So, if the food scarcity was only a few months ago, then he will remember it now, but in a few months to a year he will probably have forgotten all about it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• thank you for the answers
    Liveatmo

Comment by Liveatmo (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Your LO should be okay. When I was growing up, my bio father was a jerk and didn't give my mom ANY money for food. But she managed. We didn't have much, but I turned out just fine with my eating. That was from birth up to about age five. I think it depends on the kid and the situation AFTER the fact. Because once bio father was gone, my mom did amazing with what she did have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• So long as from here on out he sees that food will be available consistently he should grow out of this phase. I would also try reassuring him when he is doing this by telling him he doesn't need to hide food because there is more than enough. Something along those lines.
    Dear.Prudence

Answer by Dear.Prudence at 11:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my boy doesnt eat it if you touch it and "any sauce comes on another plate or he doesnt eat it " he always says
    WinterPup

Answer by WinterPup at 4:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2011