If im breaking up with a friend for my SO's sake

do i explain why we can't be friends or just stop talking to them or say something else?
My SO would not appreciate me saying something like"i can't be friends with you since my SO
doesn't want me around you" it would make SO seem insecure or like he has problems like trust issues, and even if he does i don't want him appearing that way to other men.
how do i end my guy friendships for SO?

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• If you have kids w/ the ex then you have to be parents, but you dont have to be buddy buddy. I would tell your guy friends that "luv" you, that it isn't appropriate to be friends with them. It is disrespectful to your SO. Good luck.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Does he have a good reason for wanting you to dump this friend?
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• jason (my ex): yes we were once married
    andy (just a friend): i guess so, he told me he loved me but then took it back
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• ok, thank you a lot woo this will be tough
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes, it will be tough, but needs to be done. Personally. If you have kids with the ex, you need to be friendLY, for the kids sake. Your SO needs to understand that. But not hanging out kind of friends. As for the other guy, just because he 'took it back', well, that doesn't mean he doesn't mean it. And, just because he said it doesn't mean he actually means it. But, it's an inappropriate thing to say.
    Put yourself in your SO's place. You can end the friendships without putting your SO in the middle of it. Just say 'I feel this is inappropriate' or 'I feel this is disrespectful, and don't want it to start making him feel uncomfortable'.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011