Why do kids break everything?

My two yo has managed to learn how to adjust the chair in the computer room. She sits on it and she makes it get taller. Well she just did this and she got a hold of my glasses and broke them. I'm more irritated with myself, I am not angry with her, she doesn't knw. But bc I left her in the room to go throw a load in the laundry, my glasses are now broke and I have to buy a new pair. Hopefully, my gov' issued insurance will pay for a new pair.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 6:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hopefully, my gov' issued insurance will pay for a new pair.

Is this necessary to say????

Dork4Fish

Answer by Dork4Fish at 6:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yea, bc I don't have the 180$$ to buy a new pair... So i am hoping that they will pay since I do have gov't insurance for a month more. Srry, but some of us are not fortunate enough to have any other sort of insurance. I get mine through the gov' but I only have one month left before I turn 21.
    styhmMommy

Comment by styhmMommy (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing last night lolo my son broke a nic nac of mine lol
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 6:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I doubt she actually meant to break them. Kids are inquisitive by nature, and impulse control is next to impossible for them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• How about teaching them respect for other people's property or asking for permission before taking something that doesn't belong to them? It's never too soon to start.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• they find it entertaining...plus kids don't understand the limit to things. As adults we understand that things can only be stretched so far. We say the word 'broke' anytime my 2-year old twins break/tear something...and now they understand, but we also talk about how to fix it. Like in that situation even though it sucks, if there is no way for you to super glue or whatever way to fix them, then just tape them and pop the lenses out and give them to your toddler to play with and help her understand the limit of them. Mine come up to all the time now and say 'I broke it...can you fix?' and usually I can.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 3:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Difficult age. If you aren't working really hard on not touching certain things while you're in the room with her you really can't expect her to know not to touch. At this point you'll have to keep things out of reach. Have her come with you when you can. She would probably love to put things in the laundry with you!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011