Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do if your found out your teenager was self harming?

Answer Question

Asked by Chazzms at 11:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (44)
  • i would take him/her to a counslor to see what is going on and why they are doing it

    Answer by wendy232425 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • I would first attempt to talk to them about it, about why they did it and how long it had been going on. I would then get them professional help, it can be a sign of depression so I would get it for her/him as quickly as possible by taking them to their doctor. Good Luck with this.

    Answer by haleykarson at 11:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Yes talk and professional help. I dated a guy in highschool for 5 years...he would cut himself..It was so sad..No matter what I did, I could not help him.

    Answer by Dannee at 11:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • yeah but what if they dont want to talk about it & just igonre everything you say and get more upset?
    how do you deal with that??
    what if they say they dont want or dont need help??

    Answer by Chazzms at 11:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • they are a teenager and under your roof...I would tell them that they are going to see someone and who would they like to bring them..ask them do they want you there, their father, whom ever...but they need help...I know it is hard being a mom...our job is never ending and when it ends we are grandmothers.....good luck...I feel your pain.

    Answer by Dannee at 11:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • what if making them see someone made them worse?
    i kno someone who made there child go and it made them 100% times worse
    they where rude to the person they saw, got angry and walked out
    i dont want my chld ending up like that.
    they keep themselves to themselves and never tell me anything at all.
    just lock themseleves in there room and turn music on and cry so we cant hear them.

    Answer by Chazzms at 11:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • Do know for a fact that he or she is harming themselves...Have you tired talking to any of their friends???
    I think you have to try to seek help...god forbid they really hurt themselves and you too can get help. I got years of help dealing with my X now drug addict brother and how to deal with him.

    Answer by Dannee at 11:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • there are scars all up one of her arms on both sides, lines & names that iv'e seen.
    we asked her once & she said she would stop and broke down in tears
    but we notice some times she wont take jumpers off and makes up exuses about it.

    Answer by Chazzms at 11:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • I would talk to them. I used to do it. I wouldn't make him or her go see a counsler unless he or she wanted to because I understand all too well how that can do more harm than good. I would also monitor him or her to make sure it wasn't going on anymore.

    Answer by purpleducky at 11:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • but how can u make sure they are not doing it without annoying them or freaking them out.

    Answer by Chazzms at 12:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.