The girl scout troop is discriminating against my daughter!!!

My daughter has had two spells, turns pale and gets a little out of it-- in the last 6 months, very random the last one three weeks ago the one before that at christmas. They have been planning a trip an overnight trip for like two years now and all of the sudden they are requiring me to go with(I can't I have other children and no vehicle), or hire a nurse to go with. Is this even legal??? She is fully independent, I let her go fee regin riding bike all over town to her summer activities and friends houses, she is really smart, she has a slight case of CP but you can hardly tell, She is 11 years old. Is this even legal? why should I have to go with it is an added expense I can not afford right now, if she went on the trip and had a spell I told them to send her on an ambulance to the hospital all alone, the hospitals are equiped to deal with that sort of thing!! and I would have to come and get her but I am 99.999% sure nothing will happen.******* And remember while you are replying to this--your kid, your perfectly healthy kid could have a spell one day too! It could as easily happen to any kid on that trip!! My kid is perfectly healthy, she has not even had a cold or the stoamch flu or anything for like 3 years!! I am just saying!!

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 6:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think they are TOTALLY correct.
    You can NOT expect those VOLUNTEERS to take on that kind of responsibility.
    They are NOT discriminating against your daughter they are taking HER life into consideration.

Anonymous

• perhaps they're just looking out for their own sake/lawsuits, etc..you know how *crazy* parents can get when it comes to their child.
    i don't see it as discrimination, though.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• True Dullscissors, but I am not the sueing type!! They kinda screwed up on her birth and I never sued the doctors because she is in my opinion not disabled enough to sue, if she was in a wheelchair or had lots of special needs I more than likely would have sued but her muscle tone is a little loose and that is all!!
    blue_glass_mama

Comment by blue_glass_mama (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It's not discrimination, it's covering their backside. Yes they are within their rights to request a parent or medically trained personell attend with her. Of course you made no mention of where this trip is. They just want to ensure your child's safety given the CP and her recent spells.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• They are actually correct. They are a non profit right? They cant afford the off chance of something happening and then you could sue them. People do that these days. I am sorry for your daughter and that you cant go or find an aunt or friend who might go in your place, but I am sure there will be lots of other things in her life just as fun she can do.

Answer by gemgem at 6:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think they are correct at what they want. you never know what could happen...and although you are not the sueing type, something could happen to make you sue.

i'm not exactly sure on how the girls scouts work, but maybe if you can come up with some kind of contract that she can go alone, but in the event something does happen (make sure you state exactly what it is) you will not sue them as long as they do the proper things, like call the ambulance, or whatever instructions you have. make sure you have it notorized.

other than that, not sure what you can do besides go, find a special chaperone for her, or not let her go. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't see it as discrimination either. Your daughter does have a known medical issue, therefore it is more likely for her to have an episode then a child with no medial issues at all. I am sure that it is the same as boy scouts, so if it is, its probably part of their regulations that she be accompanied by an adult or nurse. My son will be joining scouts with his older brother next year. He has some developmental delays. I know full well going into it, that he will have to be accompanied by an adult during trips, and most meetings.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Sorry Mommy, but these Mommies are right
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Sorry, but they are not trained to take care of kids who have medical issues. Sending your daughter may be putting her life at risk.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• When I was in girl scouts, they REQUIRED a nurse to go (usually it was someone's mom) but it was required! She should get to go, it's like you said the likelyhood of her havijng one of there spells is probably LESS then one of the other girls having another accident.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011