????

Ok so I am 35 weeks pregnant. I have smoked throughout this pregnancy. I know I should have stopped altogether but even though I didnt quit I did cut back dramatically. Its still not an excuse. Any way what I was wondering is what are the chances that my baby will be born before the due date? And will he be smaller than my daughter? She was over 9 lbs when she was born and one week past her due date and I quit smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant with her. Will smoking really effect this pregnancy that much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes, smoking can cause all sorts of side effects to the baby. In particular, low birth weight and pre-term labor. The baby will most likely be small.
    lyndsey1788

Answer by lyndsey1788 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I smoked with both of my kids and have known lots of others who have also. 1 weighed 7 lbs 1/2 oz and the other was 7 lbs 15 oz.
    Its not as likely as some say.
    Anonymous

• My mom smoked with my younger brother and he was 10 lbs so i dont really believe in that she also smoked with me and i was 8 lbs 8 ounces :)
    zackarysmommy

Answer by zackarysmommy at 9:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I know there is a lot of conterversy about it. My mom smoked with my brother and he was almost 9lbs. I had a friend who smoked with twins and she had them with a scheduled c section a week before her due date and they were like 4 lbs each. My other friend smoked and went past her due date and her baby was almost 9 lbs as well. I was just curious on everyones thoughts. Guess I'm just a little worried cuz I should have stopped and didnt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If you look closely at most of the comments made by the professionals, they usually say the word "may". Smoking may cause low birth weight. Smoking may cause prematurity. Doesn't mean it will. Does mean that you should do what you can to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. If you couldn't or didn't quit at least you slowed down. That counts. Whatever you do to help yourself and you baby counts. Don't beat yourself up over what you didn't or couldn't do. That only causes stress. Stress isn't good for you, your baby, your pregnancy or the upcoming delivery.
    Tess48612

Answer by Tess48612 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My mom smoked with both me and my sister.. I was 8 lbs and my sister was 10 lbs 4 oz.... so take away from that what you will..
    I still don't think it's a good idea to smoke while pregnant.. But.. doctors have said it's better to just cut back during pregnancy than to quit because of the withdraw . Hope this helps :) Good luck
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:33 AM on Jun. 12, 2011