OTC allergy med question...

I take Claritin daily, in the morning. Today I'm having a horrid allergy day, and I'm wondering if I can take Sudafed or Sudafed PE to help tonight. The pharmacies around here are all closed, doctors office is closed & doesn't have an after-hours call line, my insurance doesn't have a nurse help-line, and the hospital is no help where medications like this are concerned. Please, does anyone know if these 2 meds will mix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• Do NOT take anything else. Try a Netti Pot or Saline Rinse. You can get the Saline Rinse at the grocery store or Walmart. Don't mix any drugs unless you talk to a doctor or pharmacist. But I know how you feel. I live on Zyrtec D for 10 months out of the year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You can take sudafed. Sudafed is a decongestant not an antihistamine. Taking sudafed with the claritan is the same as taking a claritan-D. When my allergies were really bad, I would take benedryl & sudafed on top of my zyrtec.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Thank you, mother. That's what I was thinking but I've been in so much pain I was struggling to think it through. You helped a lot! (Though I am calling the doc tomorrow because it is that bad!)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Finally got to ask my doc today, and she said it's fine to take regular only sudafed (the stuff behind the counters) 1 time halfway between Claritin doses. Though I do have a roaring sinus & double ear infection so I'm on steroids & antibiotics, so I think I'll skip the sudafed now ;)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• claritin is one that lasts for 24 hours! Don't take anything else until 24 hours is up! Doctor and pharmacy would tell u the same thing.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011