GD Question...

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have Gestational Diabetes. I am currently taking Glyburide, but learned today that most Glyburide websites advise to stop taking the medication 2 weeks before your due date. I am to be induced in two weeks, and no one ( doctor) has said anything... Any advice? I won't see a doctor until Tuesday.. I'm ready to be off it, it causes me to have hypoglycemia pretty badly..

Squirellybur

Asked by Squirellybur at 7:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• Ask your pharmacist or call the doctor on Monday.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was on it up until I had the baby. I didn't have hypoglycemia though, you might want to ask your doctor. I had to stay on it for a couple of days after I had Ivy, my diabetes didn't go away immediately.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would go by what your prescribing doc says. Glyburide is not super long-lasting in the body, so it's not like if you stop it several days before it will still cause a low during labor. And certainly ask the doc post-delivery when they'll be re-checking your glucose and/or A1C, as having GDM does increase your risk for type 2 DM later. Breastfeeding is a good way to reduce high blood sugar and help with post-partum recovery too. However, if they do continue you on glyburide, keep in mind it can cause lows with breast feeding. I would request starting metformin post-delivery. No risk of low blood sugars and very beneficial to you and proven to prevent type 2 DM, in addition to diet/exercise. Best of luck to you and congrats on your upcoming arrival :)
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:45 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I meant request metformin INSTEAD of glyburide, btw. Some docs are using that also during pg, but not as many as those willing to use drugs like glyburide or insulin.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011