When is it appropriate to let young gals wear make up?

I had to wait until I was out of High School,my mom said HS was too young

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 8:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I say 13
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i have a sd thats begging to wear it now but i refuse to let her..shes to immature..im not sure when i will allow her to...but i started wearing it in the 8th grade and i could of waited til the 10th
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would say High School.
    Cynthia525

Answer by Cynthia525 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• When she is old enough to have a job and buy it herself.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 14
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 15. Maybe some lip gloss and mascara by 14.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• When you start wearing make-up you need to continue wearing it. I'm not sure why it works that way, but if you check the studies you'll see. Wearing mascara and some tinted lip gloss is fine. There is no reason for a young woman to have to wear make up. It is to enhance their beauty, not hide it. Understand that a lot of these girls are putting make up on to look older. Which every girl wants to do, but can be problematic when guys that are older think they are older if you get my drift.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I was in jr high when I was allowed to start wearing make-up. I would like to hold off my daughter until she's 15 or 16, but we'll see what kinda girl she grows up to be (she's only 3 now). I personally wear very little make-up, so she's not constantly seeing me put on lots of it or hearing me obsess over my looks/body -- maybe that will lessen her desire, I don't know.

It sounds like some of us define make-up as any cosmetics and others are defining it as something else. Mascara is make-up in my book. Anything but lip balm/chap stick is make-up, IMO.

I disagree with the pp who talked about "When you start wearing make-up you need to continue wearing it. I'm not sure why it works that way, but if you check the studies you'll see." What studies???
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• When I was 13 I was allowed to wear mascara if I wanted to. When I was sixteen I was allowed to wear lipstick if I wanted to. Those were the rules at my house I think I will stick to the same with my daughter. Just for the pure simple fact it has taught me the art of natural beauty. When I do where makeup, it doesn't look like I am wearing much at all. I know there are gals that do wear more than I would and they look beautiful! So I wasn't saying there is a right or wrong, just saying what I learned from it.
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 11:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011