Viral infection i need advise!!

ok i had just took my 2 month old to the doctors about 2 to 3 wks ago bc he had greenish yellowish seedy bowel movements and a low grade fever and they said it was diariahh and they drawed his blood and took a sample of his poop and they said he had a viral infection and they told me to go buy some pedialyte and give it to him for 6 hours then stop and give him simalac soy based formula (to firm his bowel movments)well i did all this and he seemed like he was getting better until about a week ago he started getting more irrtable and had watery green yellow seedy bowel movements again well today i called his doc and he told me to do the same thing......why would he tell me to do the same thing if it didnt work the first time? and he also said that its very common in babys ...is this true bc he is very grumpy and kicks and stiffens his legs idk what is wrong with him and idk if his doc knows his but from a hole in the ground. And he didnt specify on how much pedialyte to give to him and when i went to ask he interrupted me so then i completly forgot and now when i call nobody answers!! i know to not mix it and use within 48 hours but how many bottles am i sopposed to give to him or ounces if his doc told me to give him pedialyte for 6 hours does he mean regular feedings or what bc last time he was running a low grade fever and i dont want him to get dehydrated is it best to wake him up and give it to him? last time i gave him pedialyte every two to three hours basically when he ate and he was fine and the doc said it was fine but idk if he really knows what hes talking about i tryed to call him a while ago and nobody answered ....and i want to double check on how much to give him this time , i scheduled a appoinment for another doc to get a 2 opinion in the meantime what do u moms think, and idk why there would be any bashing but just in case no bashing plz!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://pedialyte.com/pedialyte/pdf/PedialyteDosageChart.pdf is a basic chart on how much to give your baby. The pedialyte is meant to help rehydrate. It isn't gonna cure the viral infection. With viral infections they don't know what virus it is so basically your doctor is letting your baby fight it on it's own. Why isn't your baby on any antibiotics? The soy to harden the stool is okay but by the straining and leg movements sounds like constipation.. so does your baby still have loose stools? If not you might wanna stop the soy.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 9:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• no he has a very hard time pooping this past week i had to research on how to help him and it said if moving ur babys leg in a bycicle motion or anything else doesnt work than u can put petrolum jelly on a q tip and insert it analy to stimulate the muscles to help him make a bowel movement well i have been having to do this for a week!!!a week!! and its not getting better and i dont want to keep doing it and i told his doc that and he said thats fine and the way hes acting is normal!! when i do help him poop and he finally does its yellow/green/seedy watery poop i dont understand y hes having a hard time mabe it hurts idk but its like he passes gas right b4 he has a bowel movement...i dont know what to do bc his doc isnt helping.. and no antibiotics bc he said if he ends up getting a bacterial infection or something then his body wont be able to fight it off bc something about him being used to the antibiotics.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Do not ask for antibiotics like the first poster said ... antibiotics do absolutely nothing for a VIRAL infection, it simply has to run its course and all you can really do is manage the symptoms. I personally would avoid all dairy and I would never give my child soy (it is an endocrine disruptor). Coconut water is the best choice for hydration, not pedialyte or gatorade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Keep your appointment with the 2nd doctor. Write down your questions and hand him the list. That way you won't forget to ask. Check the directions, and keep giving the pedialyte. The doctor told my daughter to give her infant prune juice (half and half with water) when she is constipated. Do not do that until you ask your doctor first!
    Kay000

Answer by Kay000 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 12, 2011