Are your public schools downsizing? How?

We are doing away with middle schools,K-8 will now all be in one building. We are also getting rid of music,art,physical education and many freshman sports.

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 8:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in

• not this drastic as of yet
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The school I went to (and my brother still attends) has done a lot of downsizing in the past few years. We used to have 2 elementaries (K-5) a middle school (6-8) and the high school (9-12). Now they only have 2 schools. K-7 and 8-12. But they haven't gotten rid of those other things you are talking about. We have never had much in the freshman sports as our school is very small. But they did cut back on teachers. Some JV sports were cut more due to low numbers then finances. It really bothers me they would get rid of gym at ANY school :(
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Our schools are gonna start making the students pay for any sports they want to do like football, cheerleading, soccer ect. Which I think is sooo wrong. Our city has the highest umemployment rate in the state.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My son's school is on the list of schools to be shut down--so far it has not happened but...it's hard--he just started school
    rec104

Answer by rec104 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• We are so lucky, it looks like our system is cutting 1/10 of the teaching assistants next year. I'm sure they are cutting back elsewhere on everything possible- programs, library books, landscaping- but they will not hit teachers until the world is about to end. They do still have PE and art this coming year.

And that is how I like it. Teachers and kids should be the first priority. We are very lucky
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 300 teachers are being laid off, class sizes are doubling, graduation requirements have been lowered. Programs for the low income, at risk students are being cut, special ed programs are being cut, aides are being cut. But not one of the higher ups that make almost $200,000 a year are being affected.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The local elementary we are zoned for went from preschool to fifth grade to now up to eighth grade. And class size has gone up. All the schools in the county I live in are making very big changes. I am thankful we have chosen to stay with a small private school.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Oh, and one elementary school is not going to reopen in tge same capacity. It will be a developmental center.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Our district is doing away with in town buses.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• My school district laid off all the first year teachers as a cost cutting measure.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2011