I thought tantrums and whining was over by 5. Why is she just starting?

My daughter is 5 1/2 and has always been such a good child. She never went through the terrible two's and three's but all of a sudden she has the biggest attitude, cries over the smallest things and when she gets mad and stomps her feet. I thought all that was suppose to be over by now! Why is she starting now and what do I do to get her out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Kids never stop throwing tantrums and whining they just progress differently with age. JMO though. I mean, I still whine sometimes, lol. I will be honest ;)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My daughter is 14 and just had a temper tantrum today.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Every child is different. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Cynthia525

Answer by Cynthia525 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing! My daughter is so well behaved, so smart, just all around a good kid. She's also 5. But now, when i tell her to do anything, she starts whining and crying....over the smallest thing!!! Im hoping its just another phase...."terrible 5's?"
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Heavens no that stuff doesn't stop by a certain age! My 8 yo whines on a daily basis, my 9yo throws frequent tantrums (not throw herself on the floor and kick, but scream and fight, etc). And it just gets worse ;)
    Anonymous

• I don't think they stop at a certain age. It's her way of expressing herself. Maybe work on showing her appropriate ways to express herself?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:29 PM on Jun. 12, 2011