Back to work!

For the past 10 years, I have been a sahm. I loved it, never wanted to go back to work. But, hubs lost his job and can't seem to find another one, so I went to work. At a dry cleaners. I have been there for about 2 months. I already have a key to the building, know where the money is kept and have been left in charge of the store and other employees several times. I am not a manager, just working full time. Here's the thing that I seem to have a problem with. Now, at home, the kids just drive me crazy! All I want is for the house to be fairly clean when I come in, and it's not. I want the kids to behave and they won't, and, I want something to eat that I did not have to cook. When dh was working, he never had to worry about anything at home, I took care of it all. Now that the roles have been reversed, is it wrong of me to expect the same from him?

A.Perry

Asked by A.Perry at 8:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, it isn't wrong. He expected you to do it when you were home, same should go for him when he is home.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No, it is not wrong. I can see maybe him needing an adjustment period, but after 2 months he needs to be picking up the slack at home since you're picking up the financial slack.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• isn't wrong at all. talk to your husband about it asap before u get upset about it.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 10:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• no its not wrong,the roles have been reversed. tell your DH your concerns and ask what can I do to help(leave a list daily/weekly)
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Not wrong at all. Time for a family meeting to communicate your realistic expectations. I have always worked PT, so the bulk of the out home work fell on me. Suddenly, our unit converted from 8 to 12 hours shifts, meaning I was getting home from work at about 8PM (after having being gone since 6AM). My family would wait until I got home to "prepare" dinner. I made it very clear that dinner, even just a bowl of cereal or take out was to be on the table and waiting when I arrived home. Never had any further issues after I made my expectations clear. Sometimes, the obvious is only obvious to you :)

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• well its not wrong of you want some of that taking care of thing ,.but dont you know it always takes a woman are mom to keep the house running straight,it never fails,i remember one time i was workign at a dairy and came home around 10am wantign soem breakfast hubby out of a job,he had his self still in the bed kids gone to school,i blew my top and things got done then better.
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• No it's not wrong but it is slightly un-realistic. Most men are just not wired that way. Depending on your kids' ages, maybe you could establish a weekly chore calendar to help guide them (and maybe your hubby) along. If you haven't sat down and talked with him about how you are feeling and what kind of changes you'd like to be made, try to do that. He may be depressed from losing his job and you having to go to work.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:51 PM on Jun. 12, 2011