What do you think about islam and women covering their hair??

some people think muslims are extremists,some think that its awkward that woman cover her hair that way,some think they are amazing..i just want to knw your opinions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Islam is a religion that is very dear to me, and not just because it is so misunderstood. For some reason it just holds a special place in my heart. And I find the devotion of the women who cover themselves to be beautiful and inspiring. It also seems quite empowering, and that's the impression I've gotten from some of the Muslimahs I know who cover. I don't see why people throw such a fit over it - it's not that much different than a nun's habit ... And the idea of only allowing your husband see you and think of you in that way, it's really romantic, IMO - in a world where so much is over sexualized and women are objectified and treated like just some piece of meat, it's moving to think that some treasure themselves enough to cover themselves from the rest of the world. So many look at those women and only see the negative, but I see power and strength and beauty....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• its thier religon and thier choice, but yeah i always think how hot they must be also.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't care what they do as long as they don't expect me to do it too!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I'm an orthodox Jewish woman and I cover my hair. To me it's wonderful and beautiful. Many people think that Jewish and Muslim women are oppressed and are obligated by the men to be covered up because they're dirty. Nothing could farther from the truth. In Judaism (and from what I've read from the Muslim ladies in Islam as well) it's us women the ones who cherish and embrace this covering up. Actually, if it were for men, the less covering a woman has, the better. But it's us who want to keep our modesty and save our sexiness and sexuality to our husbands. Valuable things are usually kept out of reach, many times out of sight. And our bodies are sacred and valuable things that don't have to be displayed carelessly as if they had no importance.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Its strange to me because I am an American and we have all the freedoms of the world. I think it is kind of romantic too that they reserve their beauty for their husbands and family....regardless of the law. But at the same time I wonder how trapped that must feel.
    Anonymous

• I find nothing romantic about the reason behind the covering
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• "I would be concerned if my daughter got involved with a muslim man because, apparently, they have so little self-control that the sight of a woman's hair compels them to rape her."

Wow, that has to be the most misguided and ignorant comment I've read in a while....

Sharon
    momto2boys973

• my first thought is wow they must be really hot!
    Anonymous

• And I want to point out that it's not always about control. Sure, some distort it to that, but they see the beauty of the feminine as something to be treasured, to be protected. And part of me has always wondered if the covering like that stems from living in the hot ME climates, where it is smarter and safer to cover and protect yourself from the sun, and if that just seeped into their culture and then their faith. Regardless, I think it's a little prejudiced to automatically assume it's just about control for any specific person, and especially the religion as a whole. I've talked to many Muslims - males and females alike - and I read about and study Islam all the time, and nothing I have ever come across or heard has implied that it is meant to be about control.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I used to think it was a violation of their rights, as this is how it was presented to me growing up..."those poor women", but as I grew up and learned more about the culture, I learned better. It is a sign of modesty and a life long commitment that women choose. One of the students I have worked with from my college for the last 5 years is Chaldean (I hope I am spelling that correctly) and it is my understanding that she is of Christian faith and from Northern Iraq. She has been a fantastic resource for me to go to with questions I have that I would be hesitant to ask anyone else out of fear that I would offend. I think seeking understanding would do people good!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011