Do you get irritated with your kids when you're sick, or is it just me??

I have a chest cold, and I feel like crap. My dd is almost three, and she has been driving me up the wall for the past couple of days. When I'm not sick, I can handle her a lot better, but when I'm sick, I get cranky and irritable, and have no patience for her. Today her dad came by and took her out for a few hours so I could rest. But as soon as she came home, my crankiness started up again! Smearing ice cream on the table, sneaking sips of my diet soda...UGH!!! I couldn't wait until it was her bedtime!!

Now I feel guilty because I've been such an ass towards her. How do I apologize to a toddler and get to understand that Mommy doesn't mean to be cranky, that's she's just sick and not feeling well??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I feel the same way when I am under the weather. But my 2 yo and 3yo somehow know when I am sick. they will usually lay on the couch with and watch t.v. and movies.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 8:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If I don't feel well I just tell me son. For the most part he doesn't really change, lol, he still runs around like a crazy man ;) But he will be sweet and ask me how I am feeling sometimes. She won't remember in a week anyway, don't worry too much! If you think she will understand just tell her, mommy isn't feeling the best.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes, and I tell them "I don't feel well, I'm grumpy, please leave me alone today". They don't, and I do get grumpy with them (not too bad, but definitely not my best), but they do understand.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• When I'm sick and PMSing. I have a teenager so he has learned to just walk away when I'm crabby. When I have a migraine and after my recent surgery, he actually took care of me. That made it so much better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I get the same way, mine are 8, 6 and a year and a half. I love them dearly, but sometimes I just need a breather. I had to explain to my oldest today that I was just not feeling well and asking me for 3 million things right now was not the best idea.
    xchamberlinx

Answer by xchamberlinx at 9:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If I'm sick or even tired I tell them and they respect it
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I feel the same way when I am under the weather. My boys know when I am not feeling well and am more sympathetic then my husband is they usually bug me for a while and then they will usually lay on the couch and watch TV or a movie
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2011