Cows milk allergy?

Hi can a baby have only 2 or 3 symptoms of a cows milk allergy? Can they devolop it or are they born with it? my son is 2 months old. When i had my son i tryed to breastfeed but he could never latch on properly and made me nipples cracked and bleed so for a while i just used a breast pump and mixed it with enfamil. When i did this he seemed constipated so after a couple of days i switched him to gerber goodstart gentle plus well for about month he seemed fine but he has always been fussy and had gassiness but never cried for hours on end so i figured it was normal well this past month he has been very fussy and gassy and had on and off diareah. ok so i took him to the doctors around 3 weeks ago bc he had a low grade fever and vomited small amounts of what looked like digested little clumps of formula and it stuck bad and when i go to put him against my chest to burp him he takes his legs and litarally trys to climb up my stomach like he was hurting so the doc told me to buy pedialyte and give him that for 6 hours then switch to soy formula, i did and it went away and he seemed a little better but still gassy, so now for this past week he has been having diareah again and has been vomiting a little more and he spit up or vomited one of the two and completly soaked the back of his head , then after i fed him again later he vomited (i know for sure) all down his shirt it made like half his shirt soaked and it stinked bad, when i took his temp it was 99.6 then after giving him tylenol it was 98.3 and when he seemed like he was getting better it was 99.3 (which my doc said was normal as long as it didnt rise to 100.3 and that it might just be his normal temp) so i just called his doc again and he said to do the same thing as last time......wtf it didnt work last time...and i just now found out that my moms grandmother and her (my mom) had an allergy to cow milk and there symptoms were the same as his! so now im starting to wonder if this doc knows what the hell he`s talking about or doing.......so can my son develop milk allergies, are babies born with this and do they have to have al the symptoms??? idk what is wrong with my lil man and im really getting worryed....sorry so long plz help..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was allergic to milk and did the same thing. You have to remember that cows milk is harsh on babies stomach. Formula is made differently however they can still have an allergy to it. My son had HORRIBLE allergies to all kinds of things but he grew out of most except for shrimp. Try switching him to soy and see what happens but it could just be a stomach bug
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• how old is your baby? there is a high percentage of babies that are "allergic" to cow formula that are also "allergic" to soy formula as well.
    if your baby is not very old, you may want to consider contacting la leche league, they are awesome!!!! you may be able to re lactate.
    many of my babies were born tongue tied, and they had that flap of skin under their tongue clipped to improve their latch. another thing with the latch is to be sure that they take in not just your nipple, but the areola as well.
    there is a pretty expensive formula available that may work as well.
    personally, i do not believe that any cow based formula is good for any baby. really, cow milk is made for a calf that needs to gain 400 pounds. humans are the only animals that consume milk of another species, and consume milk of another species beyond the infancy stage. it is not the way it was meant to be.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If it's been going on for 3 weeks, it's POSSIBLE that it's just a nasty bug that's taking a bit longer to kick. But yes, a baby can be born with, and also develop an allergy or intolerance to dairy. And it is common for people who are intolerant to or allergic to cow's milk protein (casein) to also have issues with soy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i just found out my realitives had lactose intolerance and that it is hereditary so i switched him to a lactose free soy formula...i hope this works
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 12, 2011