Trying to figure out a Menu for Home Cupcake Business

Ok Ladies:
I hope that this isn't a dumb question.....but I'm wondering the best way to try and start my cupcake business from home (oh and I work full time and have a hubby and a 3 1/2 yr old son).
I'm wondering, to start out, if it's best that I offer limited flavors and then require a reasonable amount of time for a specially requested flavor. And - how I should handle requests for 6 or one flavor and 6 of another. For example, and order for 6 Key Lime Cupcakes and 6 Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes. Would you just cut the recipe to make only six and then how about making the homemade frosting for only 6 (didn't even think of that part til right now)? Am I in over my head? Or just too stressed to think this through clearly?
ADVISE PLEASE. But please try to keep the criticism and advice constructive.
Thanks soooo much.

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 8:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Maybe make a minimum order for more than one flavor until you understand your demand better?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't know if your an avid cupcake or even cake baker, but I would build your own recipes up or use box mixes...whatever your going to do, get familiar with YOUR recipes, ingredients, color combos, and flavors. Test them out, cut them in half and see how they turn out.
    I would definitely start with Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry as base flavors and maybe expand from that to carrot, pineapple and some other familiar flavors. Make creative fillings, mix in's for the actual cupcake itself and people can choose combonations from that. If they have something special in mind then work those flavors or combos in.

I wish you all the best!!!
    Anonymous

• Before thinking about a menu you need to make sure your kitchen is up to code, etc - if you just start and someone reports you you'd likely be shut down. But after that, once you're licensed & whatnot, you need to have limits - if you're worried about only making a few of one flavor, have it be a minimum of 1 dozen or something like that. You can cut back on any recipe, but yeah, it's a pain to make just enough frosting for 6 cupcakes, lol. Week's notice on orders unless it's a basic, normal flavor, then still give yourself a couple of days - I do a 2 week notice/order. Ummm...offer whatever flavors you're comfortable with...
    Anonymous

• For flavors, don't be afraid to look online at other cupcakeries for flavor ideas.

When deciding prices, perhaps have a discount for a full dozen of the same flavor. Don't charge more for a mixed set, charge less for a full set. It's a mind thing.

Cupcakeries around here charge about $3.50 per cupcake, $3 each when buying 4, 6 or 8, or $2.75 each when buying a dozen. But you can pick all separate flavors; that's their full business and they have some of every flavor.

If you are only making "on demand" cupcakes, the sky is the limit for your flavors, but make them ones YOU are comfortable with. Advertise that special requests are welcome; contact CupcakeGal for a quote today!

If you are making from scratch, cutting the recipe in half should be no problem, since they bake for the same amount of time. Ditto on frosting. If you have excess in a batch, use for marketing with a box, logo and menu dropped off to potential clients
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011