Do you think this is a fair punishment or too harsh?

My daughters are constantly fighting, saying things like "I don't want to play with you anymore", and "I am not going to talk to you anymore." I hate these phases and lines. So my new punishment is to not allow them to talk for or play with each other for an hour after they say these things. I was arguing with myself on whether this is too harsh. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• They are already saying that they dont want to play together, so how would this be punishment??? Id say time outs, stand in the corner, or tell them that if they say it again to each other that they are going to bed.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• when me and my cousin used to say things like this growing up our parents wouldnt let us play together for a day lol...believe me it worked we could play another few days and it would happen again..it does teach a lesson..now we are 28 and 26 and love each other right on and we even have our moments lol
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No this is perfect. Now they'll want to talk to eachother and play with eachother. My dd and ds do this all the time. "I dont want to play with you" then theyre crying their eyes out bc the other one wont play with them.....*sigh*
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I love it! So creative! LOL and I did it with my girls. It worked everytime. Well done Momma.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I'm not a great believer in punishing kids; it's manipulative and disrespectful, generally, and if you want to raise kind well-mannered kids, you have to treat them with dignity and respect. However, that is a pretty ingenious one. ;) It lets them know what their nasty threats are actually about.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think that is a good way to go about it!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have done this with my kids many times. It helps them to appreciate the other one's company a whole lot more. They realize that playing by themselves is just not very fun.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• yay Mama! Good thought- I am trying this too- with a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. It works very well.
    chrys45

Answer by chrys45 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• IDK. It could backfire and make them continue to play by themselves. Some kids just like being on their own. My friends mom used to make them play together more when they fought and said they didn't want to play with each other. She gave them a project to do together. That worked really well. But, if your way works, that's awesome. What works for one person may not work for another.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I kind of like that. Thanks for the idea. Mine are 2, 4 and 6 so I imagine I'll have lots of chances to use it. Only problem is, I've only heard them say it whne they're in the car! Um... in the car that doesn't work so well, and at 2 and 4, having to wait till we're home and then be punished... they are really too young for that, much less effective. But I'll keep it in the arsenal. An hour seems good for little ones. For bigger kids, maybe longer. Hmm....
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011