She's biting holes in her pacifiers! What do I do?

Let me start by saying she is almost three and uses pacis for nap and bedtime, so it hasn't been a huge issue for me. I bought some that are soft and flexible, and doesn't damage her teeth like pacis with rigid nipples do.

But now she is biting holes in them! I've thrown away three so far. She still seems to need them for comfort during sleep...but if she's biting through them, should I just replace them or just take them away?

I'm not talking about taking them away because of her age...I'm talking about taking them away because of her biting through them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• TAKE THEM AWAY. Not only is she too old for them, they are now becoming a danger to her. She could choke on those pieces she bites off.
    Anonymous

• The reason you should take them away is because no matter how soft they are they are damaging her teeth. Having them in her mouth even just for nap or bed causes damage. I know she will cry. I know she probobly won't go to sleep, maybe for hours. But is time to "mom-up".
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• TAKE THEM AWAY before she chokes in her sleep. She'll cry for a couple of days but she will be just fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think sending the binkies to the binkie fairy at this time is a great idea. She is old enough to make it fun.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• By the way, it is not the nipple that damages the teeth, it's the constant sucking.
    Anonymous

• Ochsamom-I've been talking to her about giving the pacis to "the babies". She has been talking about sending some of her pacis to her new baby cousin (lol)...I'll have to "remind" her of her decision :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• be done with them for good. that could be a danger and in my opinion she is too old to have them now.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My DD started doing this (she will be two at the end of next month) I simply just took them away. I explained to her that we had to give them to all the other little babies out there that needed them. She helped me bag them up and we haven't had too much of an issue since. Every once in a while she will wake up in the night and search for her paci, but I just soothe her back to sleep. She is doing pretty good so far (we just did this a week ago)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011