Expiration of baby cereal

I was given a massive box of baby food and cereal. I have a 5 day old and not too sure when to start cereal. I know they are going out of date soon. But is it harmful to feed her stuff that is past the date? How past the date is past the date if you know what I am asking?

Asked by Punkslilncs at 9:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not asking which is the best to feed. I'm asking if it is okay to feed what I have or if I have to throw it out. I looked and saw, that it was safe to use 18 months past the best use by date.. but wanted to check and see what other moms thought.

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Well me personally, I don't eat anything once it goes past its expiration date so I also won't give my child anything past the expiration date. In my opinion, they put an expiration date for a reason. Ask your pediatrician. Most pediatricians recommend waiting until at least 4 months old before introducing cereal anyway.

Answer by pinkie8986 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Don't start solids til 6 months, and if that stuff's expired by then, toss it and buy fresh. Unless you trust where it came from, toss it anyway and start fresh (never know who has bugs in their cupboards :S).

• I started cereal @ 4 months. then within the 4th month I introduced baby food. good luck :)

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i dont eat anything past date an wont let my kids eat anything past date. If its rice ceral it can get bugs or worms . i have seen this in a box before that was out dated. an the mother was giving it to her child. but its your call.

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 1:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Could be. Also if it is rice cereal throw it out. Whole grain or even oatmael ia a way better option. Wait until her doctor says it okay for her to have too.

Answer by momavanessa at 9:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011