A possible C Section!

Got in a car accident and spent the night in the hospital. Through an ultrasound, they said baby has turned! I'm 35 weeks and it's a huge possibility thatni mit have to get a C section!
They said there is a procedure to turn the baby around and if that does not work, were going in for a C. My question is, how is that procedure done, turning the baby around? And who has had a C? How painful? How is it done? I'm so nervous!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Manually turning is done by manipulating the baby from the outside and in. It's pretty uncomfortable. However, did they suggest getting on all fours and rocking back and forth. That sometimes works....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i had a c section to be honest i did not really feel anything until after because they gave me a spinal , when i went home i got to where i refused pain meds and never filled the prescriptions, i wondered why when the gave me a pain pill i felt loopey and could not take care of my baby it was a highly addictive strong drug. i had senstivity issues with tummy for a while afterwards but i am ok now my baby girl is 2 months old.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I'm a labor and delivery nurse. Every hospital does things slightly differently, but thisis how we do it: They start an IV inthe event there are complications. They sometimes give you a medication called terbutaline that will make you feel nervous and your heart race a bit, but it relaxes your uterus. The doctors will take their hands and place them on your abdomen and try to manuever that baby back into a head down position. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, I've heard it isn't painful, but it's uncomfortable. My DD was breech until about 34 weeks, when she flipped on her own I swear it felt like an earthquake. I was standing on a street corner and it was the most bizarre feeling, uncomfortable but not really painful, just very odd and it took the breath out of me. At least I think that's when she flipped. We'll never know for sure but that was the only thing I can think of .
    babynurse244

Answer by babynurse244 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You really do need to talk to your doctor about what they feel it will be like for you, what the specific procedure is at your hospital, and any of your questions and concerns.
    babynurse244

Answer by babynurse244 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• c-section is not the end of the world. I had one and it was really uneventful. Though the nurse commented that I was "The calmest emergancy c-section she had ever seen. " I just smiled and said "I just want the baby safe I don't care how he gets here." They give you an epidural or a spinal which may or may not make you a little light headed and nauseated. You'll be awake and hopefully numb from the waist down. Follow your doctors orders to a T as far as recovery. The horror stories are either from medication not working or patients ignoring what they were told to do.
    The turning procedure is called a version. I've heard it's really uncomfortable. I've seen it done, but no personal experience to draw from.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Sorry to hear about the accident!
    :-(

I encourage you to save risks for an emergency.
    That would include the ECV and of course a cesarean.

Since most babies will turn vertex at some point in pregnancy, at least during labor, scheduling a cesarean would bypass these opportunities.

* Remember that who we hire for our maternity care can be our greatest risk factor.
    So using an OB / hospital services for normal birth increases your risk for surgical birth.
    If you'd like to avoid unnecessary interventions/cesarean, request the care of a normal birth specialist.

The ECV is too risky, imo.
    I would start with safer & more effective routes like Moxibustion, Pulsatilla, Webster, and basic exercises from home, for sure!

Why add unnecessary risks?

Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• try spiningbabies.com/org not sure but it helped with my dd
    Dork4Fish

Answer by Dork4Fish at 10:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have no experience with turning babies. But you are only 35 weeks you have plenty of time for the baby to turn back around. Its not uncommon for them to flip back and forth right up to delivery. Unless your showing signs of going into labor soon or a NST shows your baby is in distress, I'd just wait to see if your baby turns back naturally.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have heard of putting the end of a board (like a sturdy ironing board) up on the sofa or a chair and the other end on the floor and WITH HELP laying on it with your head towards the bottom. You would want to be sure the board could not slip off the sofa and jar you to the floor. Another way is to get into an exaggerated open knee to chest position. From the hands and knees position, have some help placing a firm cushion or two beneath your knees. Then with help lower your chest carefully to the floor or bed so your buttocks are high in the air. These positions are called the breech tilt position. Do for about ten minutes three times a day, when your baby is active.
    Tess48612

Answer by Tess48612 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• This procedure has a low sucess rate, has high risks, and has been reported to be extremely painful. All the women I know that have had this done had an epidural for the procedure.

A chiropractor doing the Webster technique is much more sucessful and MOST DEFINATELY safer! Some chiropractors have a 85% sucess rate while the sucess rate of manueling turning a baby is less than half of that.

Also check out http://www.spinningbabies.com/. I used these techniques to turn my own baby at 35 weeks along.

Anonymous