Do special ed buses have to have an aide?

My 3 year old is having to go to a different school next year and they told me he could ride the special ed bus since it's 30 mins away. But, they told me it would just be the special needs kids and the bus driver. That doesn't seem very safe to me. I thought they had to have an aide.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in

• Yes, I'm pretty sure they have to.
    Anonymous

• If anyone can find something proving they have to I'd be very thankful and appreciative. I've been searching off and on all day.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't know if they have to but I do know the special ed buses have seat belts and car seats for the LO's... at least around here they do. I think that makes a big difference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• They do not have to. Usually one is assigned to each special ed bus, especially if there is a child in a wheel chair that needs to be strapped down so the bus driver never has to leave the seat. Other than that it just depends on the needs of the students that are riding the bus. Most special needs buses are equipped with harnesses so it is more convenient to have an aide but there is nothing that says that they have to. In certain districts they are integrating the kids all together with no special ed buses because there is not the funding needed for aides.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the replies! My child is not in a wheel chair...he has autism and is soft spoken and there's no way he would be loud enough to let the bus driver know if he needs something. He also isn't very well behaved in new situations and he's never been on a bus or even seen one up close. Just thinking about it worries me a lot.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think u can request one for your child or talk 2 the school
    momofsextuplet

Answer by momofsextuplet at 10:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Not every bus bus that transports children with special needs will have an aide. Aides are provided only if a student requires one. My son's bus does not have an aide currently, but in past years it has if there was an especially disruptive student or one who required 1:1 services, like if a student was nonverbal or unable to move independently. If you believe that an aide will be needed for your child, then you will need to request one through the IEP process & you will need to provide a strong case as to why an aide is necessary. Your child may need to "fail" first, meaning he will need to be very disruptive or something will need to happen, before the district will provide the aide, unfortunately.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I'm not sure about all states but, my Dad drives a Special Ed. Bus in Virginia & it is the Law to have a Aid there- & my son rode a Sp.Ed. bus in elementary school in North Carolina & he had a Aid- i hope everything works out for you..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have a special need son,we live in Ohio. The harnes does not equate a seat belt,it is a "restraint" and written permission must be give to use. Not all of Thor's buses have had aids,depends on the kids needs and behaviors. He has been on "typical buses" w/out aids.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• They are supposed to because the driver is unable to just jump up and do stuff.... every bus is supposed to have a monitor.... my mom drives a special education bus....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011