Would you allow your children to act like this?

AM I over reacting? We were at this outside ice cream place tonight and these 3 boys. All about 6-7 were running around- no big deal that is what the grass is for right? Well then they start kicking off their flip flops and throwing them at each other. One actually hit a person in the line! Mom says NOTHING, in fact she has her back to them on her cell phone. Then my son trys to run with them and the boy keeps telling him to get away before finally telling him 'Look, you can't play! This is for 6 years old and up only!! Get away from us!!' My son came to ask DH and I if he should tell the boy that he is six. (poor kid) we told him the boys were just rude. The mom never said anything to the boys about throwing shoes OR running all the other kids off the grassy area because it was 'their club' Ugh! We ate our ice cream and left...Would you ignore this kind of behavior?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 10:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• NO, but not everyone is so in tuned. Not everyone's perfect....
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let my kids act like this, but sometimes things happen. Who knows why she was on the phone...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Some parents are like that. I would of stopped my boys if they were like that. My son likes everyone though. He even got a group of 13 year olds to play with and he is 3!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• For the LOUD conversation she was having I am guessing to chat with her friend about going to the movies next week. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If it were my boys, I definitely would have stopped them from behaving like that. I've noticed when I'm out, a lot of parents are so wrapped up with their cell phones and texting that their kids are pretty much going unsupervised.
    Anonymous

• wow no my kids will never act like that with out getting in trouble for it! but its sad that a lot of parents just think its boys being boys and let it go!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think you were more aggrivated at the mom on her cell phone rather than tending to her kids. After all, kids will be kids and being they were acting that way means mom spends alot of her time on her phone and the kids just have to fend for themselves. It's more lack of guidance on the moms part rather than the boys being rude. In that situation I would have told my child to hang out with me and leave them alone.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No I wouldn't let my son act like that, but when we are in public I expect my son to act accordingly. Yes he is 4, but that doesn't mean he needs to act like an out of control child. Running around is one thing, since you were outside like that, fine, but the second things start being thrown they need to be stopped. And that was just rude of the child not to let your son play. But I think you did the right thing.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• One, I would never take my eyes off my kids, and they wouldn't be throwing sandals at each other.. two there is no way I'd let my daughters get away with telling another kid no they couldn't play with them like that. In fact that would have been the minute they were made to sit down after apologizing to the kid and THEY wouldn't be playing anymore. It's one thing to tell a kid that is being mean that you dont' want to play, but just to tell a kid no for no reason is rude and I won't tolerate that.
    On the other hand if I were in line and saw kids acting like this I wouldn't have let my daughters in the middle of it nor would I let them play with kids that want to throw things unsupervised. I'm not their (the other kids) mother, and I'm not going to watch all the kids while she (other mom) is on the phone and her kids are throwing things.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• from your behalf, yes. i have a hard time when i see others kids, i think these parents are off their rockets. i have two and they would and will never act in that mannor. we have these neighbors, well, neighbor, "she" allows her 3 yr old to roam around freely. as a matter of fact, about an hour ago, that little boy was wandering outside of our living room window! i thought for sure that i was seeing things! so...when you figure out how to tell these mothers a thing or two...lmk :) this woman's kid is going to end up on a milk carton!
    Burt929

Answer by Burt929 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011