Why do you drink? Why do you smoke?

Did you start drinking/smoking because it was apart of your upbringing? Did you start doing these things because your friends did?

What benefit do you reap when you drink or smoke?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• What benefit to I reap from an occasional drink? An assist at decompressing, relaxing, having a good time. Alcohol was not a part of my upbringing, nor was it popular with my friends. Neither were factors.

I began smoking out of a need for a chemical assist at calming down after an altercation with my abusive father... It became a habit which I broke after 12 years, a year ago.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I may drink 3 to 4 times a year. If it were because of my upbringing I'd be an alcoholic. As for smoking...I bought them when I came of age and still smoke (with the exception of my pregnancies). I reep no benefit of either except maybe sanity. (c:
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My mom smokes...smokED she just quit after over 30 years. I started because my best friend smoked though, not because my mom did. There was never any peer pressure from her, I just asked her if I could try one once. Then it became a tress reliever and a way to have 10 minutes to myself. I quit about a year and a half ago.
    Drinking... well, I celebrated my 18th birthday in London, and I celebrated it it the way many 21yos do here! But at the same time, that culture led me to appreciate having A drink with a meal rather than drinking to get drunk every time. I sometimes have a glass of wine in the evening to unwind. On very rare occasions I drink enough to get drunk and that's usually with my SIL and we just get really silly together.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Oh, and since I was BF when I turned 21 I am SO happy I still got to experience that legal bday barhopping!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I've never smoked or even taken a drag off a cigarette so I won't bother with that one.

But I drink because I enjoy it. Granted, my drinking consists of a glass of red wine with dinner a few nights a week. I rarely drink beer (maybe once or twice a month in the summer) and I even more rarely consume liquor. My parents did drink on occasion, so I suppose that's why I feel like it's not a big deal. I enjoy red wine very much, particularly a good Sangiovese (sp!) and I do find it relaxing, but I especially like all the polyphenols that are in red wine (nutrition nerd alert).
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I drink, but only occationally. I see nothing wrong with relaxing ones or twice a month with a glass of wine after the kids are in bed... i'm FAR from an alcoholic. I don't drink and drive EVER, and if I do go out and have a few drinks (maybe twice a year) I always am responsible and have a DD. And I really see nothing wrong with that at all.

What benefits to a reap from it? It's relaxing and I enjoy it. I don't overindulge so risks are minimal to none. And it doesn't harm anyone else if you are acting like a responsible adult about it.

Did my upbringing have anything to do with my choices here? In some ways yes, it made me more responsible about it because they were responsible about it. But it didn't make me choose to have a drink... my brother doesn't like the taste so doesnt' drink at all.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• no I didn't start drinking because my friends did.
    I dont' really get where this is going however.. I mean sure, if you are addicted yes, it can be very negative. But if you are a responsible adult about it I really don't see the issue? Yes there are people with issues with these things.. infact I was nearly killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 months pregnant. But it's not the alcohol that causes these things, it's bad decisions made by the person consuming them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ive never smoked. i guess cause i saw what it did to my grandpa,and i cant stand smoke way to sensitive around it. ill drink a little bit of wine or something light.but not anything major.i guess cause ive seen what people look like drunk and i think its stupid.
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I don't smoke, but I will have the occasional drink, there isn't really a reason, I just sometimes want a drink.
    If I went by my upbringing I would drink to excess every time I had a drink, my father is an alcoholic, he doesn't admit it or deal with it (as far as I know) I had times when I was younger before kids that I would drink to excess, but I was always very aware of if/when I was starting to like it too much and I would stop.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I grew up with mom/dad that smoked and dad drank beer and mixed drinks. I dont do neither and DH smokes(outside) but I dont tolerate drinking from him
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011