How can I get my 5 year old to practice her writing?

What are some tips you can give me?
She is a very smart little girls but only wants to do what she wants instead of what she needs too! I need some ways on how to make it fun, please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pen pal letter to a relative
    Summer journal/scrapbook
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My bf sits down with his kids and helps them with their homework, and studys with them to encourage them 2 do it.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• There are workbooks with writing patterns (upstrokes, downstrokes, etc) and MAZES are really good from control as well.

What does she LOVE? Suggest she make a poster about it & she can write the headiings.

Do you have an easel chalkboard?
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Hmm... I'm thinking the same for my 6 year old. He's in Kindergarten, so he can't write anything too interesting (he gets frustrated when he has to ask how to spell things or is corrected too much). I think a couple stories maybe, but that may not work well since he is so young and there is so much he can't/won't have the patience to write yet.

He does have some programs like Mr Pencil for the Leapster Explorer, that he'll play with. He writes sometimes for fun, but not so carefully or neatly. We have some letter-tracing stuff. Maybe I'll see if he'll teach his sisters to draw letters (they might not want to learn though). Or have him learn to trace and trace words too? Not sure... I'm pretty sure to get him to do this, I'd have to involve Star Wars somehow, and I'm not that creative.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• stickers and gummy bears
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• tell her to write you a letter
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I need to know, too.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Get out a baking sheet, spray shaving creme in it and let her draw and write. You can also fill a plastic baggie with pudding and let her smoosh letters/draw on the bag. Then eat tge pudding after. Use a small chalk board and chalk at tge table. Ask her to draw specific pictures. Then you write the word that matches the picture. Ask her to copy the word. Have cut outs of the alphabet and have her find letters. If she can, make simple words using the letters. Pasta and glue to make shapes of letters. Use finger paints to paint letters and words. It will help with reading, writting, and recognition.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Also put rice in a big square plastic box and put cut out shapes for her to find. We use puzzle letters from Melissa and Doug. Name the specific letter you want her to find. Drawing in the bath tub with tub crayons, shaving creme or paint. Mix activities with directions and something physical. Example in the rice box tell her to roll to the box and pull the letter P as in pizza and then roll across the floor back to you. The physical activity helps to awaken the body and your senses tuning you into learning better. While chalk drawing at the table play relaxing music.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:15 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Ask her what SHE wants write about. My 5 year old is already writing out his Christmas list.....at least he's writing. He'll write about Power Rangers too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011