My high functioning autistic son wishes to be a firefighter one day can he?

My son is 5 and will be 6 by the end of this month and says he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up. I just want to know if it is possible or if anyone knows anybody with high functioning autism that is a firefighter?

creson

Asked by creson at 10:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• BTW OP..my youngest is a firefighter/EMT. He told us he wanted to be one when he was 3 and severely developmentally delayed. He was in special ed until the 8th grade. Counselors and teachers told us he would never get out of high school. He has three major learning disabilities. The ONLY thing my son ever wanted to be was a FF. Not only did he graduate with his class. He was accepted and attended Fire Academy and graduated with honors. Passed his international boards with all 4 IFSAC seals, attended basic EMT school and passed boards, attended Intermediate EMT school and passed boards. He is currently attending Paramedic school while he works 2 jobs. You know what I've learned about my son? Don't ever underestimate him based on someone else's opinion of his abilities.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:36 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Sure he can. Ok i really don't know of one that is, but i do know a motivational speaker that has autism. I also know a few who you wouldn't know they had autism unless they told you. It depends where on the spectrum he is when he graduates. But I see no real reason he couldn't be a firefighter if he wanted to.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• From what I understand, it depends on how 'adapted' he becomes over the years. His specific quirks or 'symptoms' may prevent him form being able to handle the work... It is not out of the question but it may not be his best suited job. Time will tell. He will change his mind 300 times before he is out of Elementary school even! My DS is almost 7 and has Asperger's and he wants to be a garbage man and a cowboy! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would never tell my child something is impossible. If he is truly high functioning and he wants it badly enough HE can make it hapen even if there has never been one before. Teach him to go all out and drive for it. Don't listen to anyone who tells you no. Have you ever watched the Amazing Race? Last season there was a high functioning autistic man as 50% of a team, I cannot believe what he pushed through to get to the final 3. I would never have believed it was possible until I saw it myself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think that if he STILL wants to b one when he gets there, there probly isnt anything that can stop him. if I were u, I would never tell him he cant do something, teach him to work hard for what he wants, he may decide he wants to b something completely different in a few years.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have worked with folks that have variety of different levels. You little guy can do whatever he is determined to do. Determination is the key, but with him still being a wee one he will probably change his mind by the time he is an adult LOL
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 10:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I believe he can. My son has Asperger's. He is now 17. It is amazing how well he has adapted to life. He has always been mainstreamed and has learned to cope and adapt in the worst of situations. He is extremely focused. People do not know he has Asperger's unless they are told.
    boys2men2soon

Answer by boys2men2soon at 10:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• God bless each of you ladies. It has warmed my heart to see so many great responces to my question. I will continue to encourage him and help him how ever I can :D
    creson

Comment by creson (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I can't imagine why he couldn't if he really wanted to. Do you realize how many undiagnosed adults there are out there that learned to cope just fine and have all sorts of jobs without ever getting help in school and stuff like that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011