Can my marriage survive our financial struggles?

Before I got married I was doing great financially. Ever since I got married it has been nothing but struggle. After seven years of this I have just about had it. I am afraid for my marriage at this point. We both work hard and are trying our hardest to make things work. We have tried so stinkin hard to create streams of income on the side with ZERO result. I have poured myself into trying to make money and have absolutely nothing to show for it. We don't even have a lot of debt. We have a tiny house, car that we are borrowing from a relative, NO extras at all. Every penny we make goes to surviving and even that isn't enough. I can't stand it anymore!!!! Something has got to give!!!! Some days I just want to throw myself off a bridge (but don't worry, I wont).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• If we can survive the mess we are in then so can you! Times are hard for a lot of people right now. Just apply for what assistance you can, cut back where you can (I understand you said you have already) and keep looking for more income. It's all you can do. Keep an open mind on your options. It may mean putting your self on a waiting list for community housing and letting the house you are in go... that is where we are. Move in with relatives or get on a waiting list for sliding scale retail property. It sucks but we will stick together and survive. There is a way to make it work it just might not be what we want. I had to let go of what I want for right now. It doesn't mean it is is out of the question for later. It's just a rough spot. We will keep moving forward. That's the only way to get out. Move forward.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yeah its how I feel sometimes work and work and get nowhere but maybe you could get a pt job just to put aside I am doing that its hard but I am willing to work as hard as I have to for a vacation or just some fun once and a while.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Hang on before you leap off that bridge. You need to gather you monthly bills and add them up then divide by 4. that is the amount you need to set aside a week for bills. I have a separate account set up to where that much is automatically depositied so I don't have to worry about it. Now if your out going is more than in incoming than you need to find things to cut. Like cable, cell phones (get a cheaper rate). My husband lost his job Almost 10 years ago. Our income was cut in half. We lost our cars, our house, we had to sell our furniture. We just closed on our new house this past Thursday. It took us 10 years to do it, but we did it. There were times I wanted to drive my car into the lake, but my kids and hubby kept me strong. You can do this. Don't give up.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Its not just you... me and my bf were raising 5 kids then got pregnant with our 6th, then I got put on bedrest for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and had to give up my job, so we r really struggling, and somedays our love is the only thing that makes us stronger. my man has worked his butt off to keep us from loosing everything, and I love him for it. dont let this country's economy problems ruin your marriage.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have been married for 7 yrs and no savings, it is a constant struggle but what makes it better is we have each other and love each other enough to make it no matter what. Marriage is about making it through the ups and downs and doing it together....if you divorce your only exchanging one set of problems for a new set of problems. Do not leave a marriage for the fact that your always broke. Marriage should only end if there is abuse or cheating.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• yes your marriage will survive
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 10:04 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• i think thisis the prime time to show each other that you will stand by each other through thick and thin richier or poorer. if you guys can make it through this then yo ucan through anything.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I think you need to to look at why you were doing well when you were single...what are you doing different now? Beyond this, tighen your belt as much as possible...sometimes a "need" is really a "want"...make the hard decisions, continue to look for extra income....last but not least...the economy is a mess...a lot of people are going to have to just ride it out. Good luck my dear!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:31 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ive seen people saying they cant make ends meet and go out partying every weekend,and trying to bye a house to,you gonna have to pick which one u want the most the bills paid are a good time,thats what i tell these kids now aday,they want it all but you cant have it all.me i just want to survive,ther is ways you can take to make it even if u have to pick up cans ,
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2011