Premature labor? please help. *worried*

My SIL, whose baby I will be adopting, has gone into premature labor, the cause is yet unknown. She's only 26 weeks and 3 days pregnant. And she's refusing to let us go see her at the moment, except for my husband, he said it's best if I try to 'occupy' myself at home. They've given her drugs to try and stop the early labor but could I just ask is it possible that the baby would be okay? ? Because 26 weeks is really early, I'm hoping that the labor will stop and she'll be able to hold on a little bit but please can people give me answers and if possible personal experiences. Thank you.

haleykarson

Asked by haleykarson at 11:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I hope you get some good answers. I didn't have any premature labor issues, but my SIL had her son at 28 weeks I think and he is a thriving 12 year old now. Try to find something to occupy your hands until you find out something. :) God bless.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• 26wks is really premature but some babies if born do survive. they are usually pretty good at stoping labor she will probably be on bed rest the rest of the time. try and remain positive im sure it will all work out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• At 26 wks, it IS possible to save the baby, but he/she would have to stay in NICU for probably around 10 weeks. However, with meds they can keep her from having contractions, and like PP said, she'll probably stay on bed rest until her actual due date. Unless her water has broken already, they most likely WILL be able to stop her labor. I wish the best for you all!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My daughter was born at 27 weeks so yes it's possible for a baby to survive at this stage. While in the NICU with her I saw one lb babies grow and become healthier. It's possible in this day and age and withthe medical advances we have for a child to survive. That is not to say there won't be problems or that the bay won't require special care but it is to say there's good chance the baby will make it. My monkey ws in the NICU for 7 weeks and underwnet various procedures but you should see her now. I know I did'nt want anyone around me while going into premature labor, I felt horrible about not being able to carry my baby to term (I started contracting at 4 months) and did'nt want anyone to see me. I can not even imagine how horrible and betrayed by my body I would've felt if I were acting as a surrogate for someone as she is. Be patient with her and with yourself and you will all be in my thoughts.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008