Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Child support

How does it work? How much will you get?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • You get a set amount of money every month. Amount depends on how many children the person has and the amount of income and the state you live in.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I know its a percentage of the fathers income but what happens when he is married? A few ppl have told me that the court will combine their income but can they do that??

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • some states do combine the income of the payee and that spouse but not all states do this

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • when u go to court to settle divorce, or if not married, get a lawyer and he will help set it up. I get around $585/month for 2 kids. the amount is based on his and your income, child care expenses, things like that.

    Answer by sarahlu at 11:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • my husband pays $380 in child support to his ex but i will say the amount should have been much higher but because my husband had three other kids with me and that he is paying for medical insurance the courts lowered it a great deal.

    Every state is different, here in nevada its 18% (for one child) of payees net monthly income and my income does not count in my husband payment for child support.

    not forgetting he shares joint custody so time with either parent is always considered.

    i would check with your local child support enforcement programme or with family courts.


    Answer by gem05 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • Most states will NOT include a payee's spouse income. Actually, it's very rare.

    As for how much it will be, that varies by state. Some states do a time-share formula, where they use both parent's incomes and the number of overnights. Other states do an income-based formula, using either a % of the payee's income, or by combining the total income, and the % the payee would pay would be the % of the total of both parents' incomes.

    Answer by laird6372 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Each state has a formula in figuring it out

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.