Child support

How does it work? How much will you get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• You get a set amount of money every month. Amount depends on how many children the person has and the amount of income and the state you live in.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I know its a percentage of the fathers income but what happens when he is married? A few ppl have told me that the court will combine their income but can they do that??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• some states do combine the income of the payee and that spouse but not all states do this
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• when u go to court to settle divorce, or if not married, get a lawyer and he will help set it up. I get around $585/month for 2 kids. the amount is based on his and your income, child care expenses, things like that.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 11:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• my husband pays $380 in child support to his ex but i will say the amount should have been much higher but because my husband had three other kids with me and that he is paying for medical insurance the courts lowered it a great deal.

Every state is different, here in nevada its 18% (for one child) of payees net monthly income and my income does not count in my husband payment for child support.

not forgetting he shares joint custody so time with either parent is always considered.

i would check with your local child support enforcement programme or with family courts.

gem05

Answer by gem05 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Most states will NOT include a payee's spouse income. Actually, it's very rare.

As for how much it will be, that varies by state. Some states do a time-share formula, where they use both parent's incomes and the number of overnights. Other states do an income-based formula, using either a % of the payee's income, or by combining the total income, and the % the payee would pay would be the % of the total of both parents' incomes.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Each state has a formula in figuring it out
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2011