What about the health care industry?

I am interested to get opinions about national health care. There are a lot of people that think that this is a good idea (in theory I think it is, but it's not practical). With the current bail out happy atmosphere our country had adopted, what will happen to the millions that work in the Health insurance industry? Have we thought about how this will affect them? Will they be forced into government jobs How can we afford to take on the whole health care industry when we are already as broke as we are as a nation?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• We've asked this same question at work. I sell Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D plans and I have an insurance license in all 50 states and 5 US. Ter. and if we go to universal healthcare those might as well be used as toilet paper to wipe your ass on because they will be worthless. No one in upper management wants to tell us what would happen if they decided to do it because we work for a private insurance company so we're not a government company even though we sell government plans.

Anon 1:20
    I talk to people in Mass. on a daily basis because of my job in insurance and they hate the universal healthcare system they've adopted.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• As much as it sounds like a great idea. It will never happen here in the US. Health care is one of the biggest money makers around. Again, I ask, do you think it's a wise investment for us to find a cure for the common cold, or Cancer. It's simply not going to happen. It's much too profitable. I look at the industry as kind of like a big mafia. The Drug Reps are in on it too. Go sit in a Dr's office and watch the drug reps walk by.. ask them what kind of drugs they peddle, then go in and tell the Dr. that you have the symptoms of what the drug is for. I bet ya 100.00 bucks they try to peddle that very same drug on you. Why? Because they get a substantial kickback on it. (Yes, the secret is out) Your Dr. is nothing but a drug peddler. It's life. It's life in the USA. We use people for money. Blah, Blah, Blah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• They will still keep their job . Universal health care is for people who can not afford the health care now. But people who have great health care plan now can keep the same plan what they have.

Universal health care is not bad idea. Every kid in U.S needs to have health care ,that how simple is that.It's about time to do something.
    Anonymous

• I am posting anon because this is going to be a very unpopular answer: WE are to blame for the current healthcare crisis in the US. Malpractice insurance is sky high...over $100k/year is average Ttry to find a good OB these days. It used to be that if a baby was born "less than perfect", it was meant to be...now someone has to pay!! It's driving them out of business. And yes, it IS a business. You can't find a good old fashioned family doctor because they can't afford to be the lowest paid doctor...med school debt, malpractice insurance, extra staff just to deal with the insurance co.'s and Medicare/Medicaid paperwork. If a patient walks out of a Dr.'s office without a prescription, they think the dr. is doing nothing...we demand meds. It's our own fault....
    Anonymous

• anon 10:43, I agree that there is much more money in treatment than there is in a cure. I think that we have technology that could do wonders, but things aren't passed through the FDA because too much money is being made on treatments. I know people that get their scrips from Canada because they have generics that aren't available in the US. I am against nationalized health care because there is just too much that could go wrong (my opinion). That being said, I also agree that we need health care reform. Insurance isn't affordable for a lot of families and kids should absolutely be covered, but how do we get there without dismantling the whole industry?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have great OB/ Gyn. I don't demand meds when I go to the doctor. What I want from my doctor is the best care what I can get.
    WE need laws what will in some way protect medical personel .Doctors are there to help .
    Some people like to complain and take doctors to court for every little thing.
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:43 Universal health care is for people who can not afford the health care now.

Actually, look at Hawaii. It was suppose to be for those who couldn't afford it. What happened is that people who had policies with their company, but still qualified for Hawaii state Health care, dropped the private and went to the State Program. Now that state program has run out of money.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• people need to sue for the right reason not the wrong. and when i state this it is because i know of a doctor that got sued because a baby got stuck in the birth canal and they had to dislocated the shoulder to get him out to save his life and that of the mothers and she sued even though there was no lasting damage to her or to the baby. now he doesn't deliver any more because of that and when he saw her for her six week check up and he asked her why she sued she said that she did it because she needed the money. he is a wonderful doctor and now because of that we lost out. i know this because he was my doctor until i delivered.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• What about all the jobs that would be created if Medicare was expanded? My friend works for government health insurance and she makes more money and has better benefits than anyone I know. Everyone seems to forget that these kinds of programs CREATE jobs. Also, if we're talking about Obama's plan, you can still opt for private insurance, so those jobs should be safe.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 1:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I understand that, but my question is how do we, as a nation with NO money, accomplish something that will cost massive amounts of money? I know it all boils down to tax payers, With the economy the way it is, I don't feel it's affordable to change our system to a government run system (even saying that makes me cringe, when has the govt. ever run anything successfully).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2008