Getting tubes tied?

Ok so a little background info, I am 23 and have a 3 and 2 year old and I am pregnant with my third due in Sept. My Dh asked me the other day if I was going to get my tubes tied after this one was born. I was not shocked after hearing him ask this because I know that as of right now he doesn't want anymore children. The problem I am facing is that we are still young, who knows if later down the line I/we/he will want more kids. I really don't want to take that option away totally. I am not sure what to do or say to him. Any suggestions?

mommy2amari

Asked by mommy2amari at 11:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I talked to my doctor about getting a tubal and she informed me that the health risks are much more significant than say, him getting a vasectomy. Maybe you should ask him to do that, since he is the one who wants to prevent it. Then, even though you aren't suppose to do it planning to have it reversed, at least it is an option.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• He tells me from time to time that he would have a vasectomy. I just don't want him regretting something later. For now I am happy with the 3 I will have but who knows later.
    mommy2amari

Comment by mommy2amari (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would suggest that you didn't. Nowadays they are doing it that it isn't reversible and trust me, as a mom that had one in her 30s after having 3 by 23 I'm glad I never chose to do that. You never know what may happen in the future. Suppose God forbid your DH dies or you divorce and meet someone that wants to have children and you can't give them that option. People end up splitting up often because of the want of children that the other one cannot provide. If he is bent on not having anymore, let him have it done. It's not as risky for him anyway.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Google 'PTLS' before you even consider it as an option. A vasectomy is easily and successfully reversible if you decide you want another one.

I had a tubal 4 years ago. If I had known then, what I know now, I NEVER would have done it. It has made my life hell.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Thanks for the info ladies. I think I am just going to tell him if he doesn't want anymore kids then he has to go though the surgery for it and not me!
    mommy2amari

Comment by mommy2amari (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2011