What age do you talk to them about sex?

I am DREADING this conversation. However I WANT to be the first person to talk to my children about sex, not some screwed up little boy on the bus or another child with skewed views on the issue. I have a feeling this conversation is going to come much sooner than I would feel comfortable having it on my own.

My kindergartener is already being "teased" about having a boyfriend or so and so loves her and already watches things like Drake and Josh and see's Drake kissing girls a lot. So I know she's got some insight into the boy/girl thing. I found her and our neighbor boy laying in bed together the other day watching TV. They weren't doing anything, just laying side by side, and with great sadness I told them they had to move because it was acceptable. They're 6...but I know what this day and age has to offer my child.

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think there is any one age that you have to call the kid in and make a big speech about sex and all. I think you tell them about sex naturally and easily in bits and pieces all along as they are growing up and as they ask questions. Let them know exactly how you feel about sex and when you consider it appropriate and when you think it is not. Also let them know your beliefs about protection, birth control, abortion, premarital sex and so forth, both by example and by everyday training. This gets the message across in a much more forceful manner than one big "talk about sex" does. It's like, "Lets have THE big talk about elbows today...", it doesn't really sink in. Talk to them about sex from the day they are born, talk about appropriate touching, about where babies come from and things like that when they ask.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• So if you've already had this conversation or, I think it should be conversation(S) with your child. What age did you do that. What information did you share the first time? What kind of setting was it? Formal, informal? If you haven't, what age do you think you would need to start talking to them about sex?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• IMO if they are old enough to ask they are old enough to hear the answer as long as it comes from you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My DH and I have brought the subject up with our son (7-autism) because he is special needs and vulnerable to sexual abuse. It's always age appropriate and at this point generic. He was curious as to how his baby brother got in my belly, he was sure I swallowed him! :D But I think the sooner the better, and if you make it casual your DD will feel more comfortable coming to you in the future when she has the big questions! Good luck! :o)

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes, I do plan on being open and having this be a normal conversation that as teenagers they are used to. I know the one time talk is just pointless and gives them something to snicker about as young adults.

I still feel completely unprepared to approach this with my daughter. And completely inadequate for the job. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008