how to stop to breastfeeding my girl of 3 years old

i think that my breast milk does not work any more of my girl because she is already 3 years old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are benefits to breastfeeding toddlers. Check out kellymom.com or mothering.com for more information:)
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 4:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Talk to her pediatrician about weaning methods if you're at a loss.
    kellietinsley

Answer by kellietinsley at 6:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I'd tell her we are not doing it anymore. Like with a binky or bottle she will fuss, cry and complain, but you are the parent say NO and stick to it. Let her pick out some new sippy cups or big girl cups at the store.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• ur breast have milk as long as u allow ur baby to suckle. i've hear of ppl feeding util there kids were 8 or 9 even.but if u want to stop just go cold turkey and put up with the cryin for a while but eventually shes stop
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Oh please ignore the anomymous poster. While I know 3 years would be too old for me, it's the choice you made for your family and there is nothing wrong with it.

Now that you are ready to stop, I'd make a count down chart and put it on the fridge. Each day you mark off a square and remind her that when all the squares are marked off, she will use only a cup, no more breastfeeding. She's more than old enough to understand the concept and it will give her a few days to adjust to the idea.

Be aware that she will probably try to breastfeed after that day and she will probably grab your breast for a couple of years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• to me thats worng u shouldnt be feeding a toddler by breast i just dont think its right. and you should really stop. i mean if she can unbutton your shirt for you its gone to far. its not meant to be done that long really no matter what a website says. i could see if u pump and give it to her in a cup that way but her latching on to your breast is a bit much.so just stop its not healthy. and this is just my opinion...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Ok, if it weren't meant to be done, breasts wouldn't produce milk for that long. As long as you're girl is still nursing, your breasts will continue to make milk.  It is very healthy to continue as long as you and she are willing, from an emotional AND nutritional standpoint.  She will wean on her own.  The average weaning age is 4 years 2 months.

GothyMama

Answer by GothyMama at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2008