Smokers ONLY! Please answer this:

I tried asking this a minute ago, but too many non-smokers had too much to say about it. SMOKERS ONLY please answer this:

I have been smoking since I was 16 (that's 4 yrs now), and I have been trying to quit since I found out I was pregnant back in May. I was doing good for awhile, but have never been able to to quit completely. I am still smoking a pack a day, however. (though I'll never smoke around my baby), but I'm having trouble with smoking TOO MUCH! Normally, I smoke exactly 1 pack a day. Every once in awhile if I'm busy or sleep a lot, I'll only smoke 1/2 to 3/4 a pack. But lately, I've noticed that I've upped to TWO packs in one day. For like almost a week straight, I was smoking almost 2 packs. I couldn't even remember smoking that much.... I am back down to 1 pack a day, now, though. But is there anyone else? Or anyone have any advice? Gum doesn't work btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I know what you mean. When I was in college I was up to 2 packs a day and didn't even realize it till I was out of money to buy more lol. It's just stress and anxiety.

I tell you one thing that helped my husband and I quit, we calculated we'd save a little less than $3000 a year just by not smoking.

Good luck, I really wish you the best!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I mean not to be rude but your already 9 months why are you trying to stop now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You're pregnant??? Quit smoking for your child. Are you aware of the risks to your childs health because you are smoking while pregnant?? You say you will never smoke around your baby, but you are smoking while pregnant??? That makes NO sense. And BTW I am a smoker.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Honestly, if you don't like the answers, then don't ask the question!
    Anonymous

• you said you smoke while pregnant your probably only going to get negative answers sorry. anyway i dont smoke and i know you asked to answer but have you talked to your dr about ways to quit? They have gums, patches al sorts of things to help. Maybe you just need alittle support group of friends who quit with you or something. I guess in the end you just have to have the will power to quit my grandfather smoked for many years and one day just decided to quit he always told us anyone can quit you just have to have the will power to do it. Maybe thinking about your baby on the way will help you gain the power to quit.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'm a former smoker so I hope you don't mind my answering. The most that is going to happen to your baby is probably low birth weight. When I was pregnant with my first I smoked about a pack a day until suddenly one day they made me want to throw up so I can totally understand how you could suddenly want to smoke MORE instead of less.

The best thing you can do is keep occupied and force yourself to change your habits. Like don't light up every time you get in to a car. That was a big one for me. Don't smoke right after eating or you know any other times where you smoke just to be smoking. Really wait until you need one and that should help. The hardest thing is breaking those habits though.
    (cont)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• (cont)

I wouldn't recommend the patches or things like that just because they made me all sorts of jittery and pour sweat and have horrid nightmares.

I think you're doing the right thing in making an effort to get it under control. Lost of my friends have smoked all through their pregnancy and their kids are just fine. I'm not saying I approve (they never even made an effort, some of them) but everything turned out peachy.

Good luck!
    Xynyth

• Thanks Xynyth. I'm not WANTING to smoke more, I'm not sure how I even am smoking more. I've never smoked more than 1 pack a day in 4 yrs. I don't even realize I am doing it until the end of the day I have 2 empty packs. It's not that I'm not trying to quit. I am trying. And I have been trying since I found out I was pregnant. The only thing my OB told me was to just take a few cigarettes out of the pack at the beginning of the day and limit myself to what was left. And gradually take out more and more until I can quit. Apparently that didn't help, bc I just ran out too fast...
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel it took me a while to quit while I was preg, and all I did was carry a pict of my ultra sound around with me I even made a copy to put on my pack to remind me of why I am stopping I got pretty good at doing the right thing but now my lil one is 8 months old and I am smoking again :( just keep your head up and keep pushing through it. good luck
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 12:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I am also a smoker and I tried quitting so many times when I was pregnant I can't even count. I tried the patches, they made me pass out every single time I put one on. I tried the gum. I tried cutting back. I tried everything. The onlything that worked for me was sheer will power. Except it worked for about a month. Then my husband got deployed and I was smoking again. My baby was fine. There are times when I still feel really guilty about it, but there is nothing I can do about it now. Good luck, and all I can say is just keep trying!! I know how hard it is!!
    Anonymous