Postpartum depression...

If you had postpartum depression, what was it like? What was your first clue that you had it?

I can't stop crying, I am convinced that something will happen to my baby, plus I am having awful nightmares.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• Yes, that is postpartum depression. Call up your OB/GYN right away to talk about it and he/she can guide you about getting appropriate treatment. Treatment does work and you will be fine but please do not ignore these signs, get them treated. Best of luck and hang in there dear. Get all the support you can from family and friends to help with the baby until you are feeling better.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Ya sweetie, it's just your hormones going wacko on you. Try to get out of the house as much as you can, it will pass. I got on antidepressants for it but looking back now I believe natural cures are the absolute best. Exercise, St. Johns wart, ect. Sorry you are going through this, it will be ok!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Your hormones are still way out of wack after having a baby. It's completely normal to still cry out of nowhere, to have anxiety about your childs health and safety (especially with your first becuase its all so new) and to have these nightmares. Now while it's normal, it depends on the severity and what else is going on that would determine postpartum depression. Discuss your concerns with your OB/GYN
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Signs and symptoms of a major depressive episode include, in part:

Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day
    Reduced interest and pleasure in activities you used to enjoy
    Significant change in your appetite or unintended change in your weight
    Inability to sleep (insomnia) or excessive sleepiness (hypersomnia)
    Restlessness or notable slowed movements
    Fatigue or loss of energy
    Feelings of worthlessness
    Diminished ability to think, concentrate or make decisions
    Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• treatments include:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/postpartum-depression/DS00546/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
    lizzybee44