Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Is there anything you can do for children that you KNOW are being neglected besides call CPS?

I wish that CPS would for sure exhaust all other options before taking kids. Lots of home visits, parenting classes, mentor-ship, mandated group home for the mom & kids. But, since having kids taken is a real risk, is there anything else you can do if kids are being neglected. This is not a case of suspicion, the kids are definitely being neglected. Infant never held, never changed, never bathed, propped bottles in the swing. Should be crawling at this age, but can't even roll over. Toddler often left unsupervised or ignored, always dirty. Other people have stepped in to feed her several times. Mother ignores her bedtime requests and puts more television on so that she won't have to get up to put her to bed, etc. It's bad, something clearly needs changing, but with the risks of foster care for more abuse and neglect, plus the trauma of being taken from your family, that's a worry. Anyway to get someone help, someone paying attention, without risk of kids being removed?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • as long as the mom's not doing drugs, CPS may spend six months putting her through parenting classes and counseling first, while the children are in the home; it's called a safety plan. or, they may allow someone approved to move in and supervise or let her place the kids with a family member while she gets her shit together. it's very upsetting, any way.
    if she keeps on, and one of the kids gets hurt, it'd go to court immediately and removal is almost certain at that point.

    Answer by sherlokke at 12:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • well either you call CPS you watch something horrible happen to those kids from neglect.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Unfortunately there is nothing else you can do. I wish there was too.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • y shouldnt the kids be taking away??? sound to me like someone else can do better

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • with cps they try to place the kids with family first and then into foster care! and really some foster care homes are good! we r foster parenting my 2 nieces and man i thought we were being investigated for murder, they ask a ton of questions! any home is better at this point i would think!

    Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • That is not a reason to really investigate in my county. In what way is tge child in danger of abuse at this moment? As in: many children are developmentally delayed. As in many parents prop bottles. Many kids have television in their room or parents ignore a child's request after bed time. And many people are not good at keeping a clean home. With as little as you said very few intake workers would find that compelling information. If you think they are in danger you have to state specifically what puts the children at risk right at this moment. Such as when she props a bottle the towel is around the neck of the child, there is diaper rash so bad the bottom is bleeding, the house is so dirty cock roaches are in the crib of the chidren. And before a judge or law enforcent officer decides to temporarily remove a child...classes and other options are explored.

    Answer by frogdawg at 12:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • I would call CPS and see what they say

    Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • It sounds like that baby would do better being taken out of that home, if the mother has family willing to take in the baby, that's most likely where the child will go. If it's that bad, you should call.

    Answer by momov4kids at 8:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • I would call CPS. A social worker will visit the residence. Social workers can help the mother to look for resources. If the child is in need of a more nutritious diet maybe they can give the mother food stamps If the child is found to have developmental delays they can provide therapist, teachers to evaluate the child(ren) and also provide with an intervention that could be take place in the same residence/home. They can also provide the mother with counseling and parenting classes. All free thanks to taxpayers.

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Are there any other family members in the area who are more competent? If so then the kids will most likely be placed with them.

    Call CPS right away. Obviously this mother is not going to change on her own, maybe the fear of having her kids taken will get her to start being a parent.

    Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

Next question in General Parenting
Child support

Next question overall (Baby Names)
Which name