my 22 mth old daughter doesnt nap anymore?

is it ok for my 22 mth old not to nap anymore i mean i try to make it quiet and relaxing but she just wont nap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is older now and the older kids are, the less sleep they need. There are many kids at 22months who wont nap anymore. its totally normal.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Oh you have my sympathy. I'm dreading that day myself.
    I'd try to have a "quiet, lay-down" time. Set a timer and try to teach her that she has to lie on her bed and play quietly with stuffed animals or books until the timer goes off. If she falls asleep, turn off the timer!
    You will also need to move her bedtime up. She still needs the same amount of sleep as before - she just doesn't want to take any of it in the middle of the day. So you will need to make sure she gets a little extra at night.
    If you have bedtime battles, you will need to move the bedtime up even more or else try to bring back the nap. Bedtime battles (screaming, crying, "i'm not tired" fits from a wild toddler) are a sure sign that the child is overtired and is going to bed too late or missed a nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. 22 mos is a bit early to be dropping the nap but isn't an impossibility. I'd continue to try to get her to at least rest if not nap and move the bedtime earlier. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Also, before you try dropping that nap, try moving it. Watch her closely and put her down when she's tired, not based on a clock time. See if you can figure out her NEW, prefered nap time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• thank you all for your answers they are very helpful thank you again!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008