When I get depressed or bored I eat. How do you get control over this?

After I put my son to bed I'm alone and I eat like 2 big bowls of ice cream. I've been doing that for the past 5 nights. I know I shouldn't eat that much but I've been depressed and it helps. However, the next day I'm more tired and I get more depressed bc now I'm gaining weight. I can't seem to keep at a good healthy weight. I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy and ever since then I've been having trouble with eating too much food or not enough. Help!!

bethiepaige

Asked by bethiepaige at 11:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Try finding another way to handle your depression, stress, and emotions. For example, when you are having a moment of weakness and feel like snacking/binge eating...take a deep breath, sit down in a quiet area, grab a notebook and start writing about your emotions, feelings, stresses in life. You can even start writing about your day, the happiness in your life, your children, whatever helps take your mind away from food.
    nkleintank

Answer by nkleintank at 9:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• No the food dosnt really help. You've talked yourself into believing it does. Food is a subsitute. Call your doctor and get an appointment to see if your suffering from depression. If eating makes you feel better even when your not hungry you could have a seratonin or other brain chemical inbalance.  Your doctor can help you IF you let him.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• All doctors want to do is give you lots of meds, and they just make you crazy so I'm afraid of that.
    bethiepaige

Answer by bethiepaige at 12:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Find a distraction for yourself. Take up a hobby, chat with a friend, or a stranger, if you have to. I wouldn't rush to a doctor. People are so quick to self-diagnose and get put on meds when there are simpler solutions.
    kellietinsley

Answer by kellietinsley at 6:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• First, I am "NOT" a DR! But I am glad that you realize what is happening in your life.People do use food and other things for comfort as babys with blankets. I would try finding something you enjoy doing. Think deeply about what would make you really happy with your life and work toward it. Sounds like you have had depression before and maybe on meds. If you can't pull out of this soon by yourself, I say run don't walk to the DR. You also need to form you a little support group to help you when times are really bad!~~~~~~~~~I suffer with depression, weight problems,bipolar disorder ect....... Good Luck and God Bless U
    dianedont

Answer by dianedont at 1:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Stop buying the ice cream. Don't even go down the ice cream aisle at the store.

But I eat too, when I am depressed, bored... I am possibly going to my first (complimentary) weight watchers meeting Monday.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008