• In the Spotlight:

For Homeschoolers: Why do you homeschool?

This is not a debate. I am a homeschooling mom and I am curious to know about everyone elses' reason for homeschooling. :)

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• I homeschool because my son was ahead of his class and the school would do nothing to help him with his education. I also did not agree with the teachers forms of discipline and did not like the behavior my son was picking up from his classmates. He would cry in the morning begging not to have to go to school. I may put him back in school when we are able to move to a better town.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It started out that I homeschooled because of the neighborhood we live in--that and the school district is pretty bad. Then as I kept researching it, I've added about a million other reasons. More time with my kids, safer environment, loving environment (and it's not illegal to hug your student!), one-on-one attention, we can take extra time to work on things that are harder, we can go as fast or as slow as they need, field trips anytime to anyplace you want, more time for extra-curricular activities, etc.

I love that they can "socialize" with much more than a classroom of same aged children.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i am not a homeschooling mom...yet.....my dd is 3 1/2 and is enrolled in pre school. i am leaning tword homeschooling here after her kindergarden year. the reason is the one school she can go to has become unsafe and i would also like to institute biblical messages into her life as well as experience what we are studying.

the school she is attending now is such a small school i am not sure it will be around in a couple years. if it is i may change my mind.
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I am a second-generation homeschooler. I was homeschooled so I wanted to homschool the kids as well. It's been pretty interesting to say the least! You get to find out what your kids just love doing and what they excell at, they get to go as fast as they want in the subjects the are good at or love and working through issues is a faster process. I enjoy it.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I started off homeschooling because the public school system would not help us. Now 3 years later, I see such a difference in my daughter and other girls her age. I also love that I can teach our biblical principles to her and we can tailor her education to fit what works for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008