Why is it that those parents with the "regular" or "typical" children fail to even try to understand that our children really do suffer from autism and or other dissabilities-that this is no joke or excuse-also no child is ever"just bad" as another mom wrote-why oh why-more judegemnts wtf! adult content

Gemini5

Asked by Gemini5 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Ignorance. They think because they don't have kids with issues that they're the better parent. I know of a mom with a daughter with autism - her mil is convinced that it's not, that she just needs a good spanking. Less severe obviously, but my ds has ADHD. I'm sick of people without kids with it harping on how overmedicated it is and that it just needs to be firmer rules.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well said, Ginger!! My mother, sisters and brother refuse to educate themselves about my son's autism. They have actually said to me and DH that our son is a spoiled brat! Needless to say, we have nothing to do with these people.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 12:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• That does not make you a bettet parent just a parent with other concerns
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Thank u moms. Thats why we got to ooen our mouths n defends our children SCREW those parents. They r the ines that need a good smak in their head. Love u.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 12:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• uneducated...ignorance. Seriously and most people wont take the time to understand it unless it is one of their own kids....so rise above and take it for what it is and a grain of salt. You have to be the light you want to see in others. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:01 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Well, like the pp's said, ignorance, stupidity. But, I will disagree with 1 thing, there ARE some kids that are just bad. Not all bad kids are sick or have a disability. I think a lot of times that is why some people question autism or ADD/ADHD, so many times nowdays whenever a kid acts up it is blamed on something! It can never just be the kid is a brat, but well, some kids just are!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Because they have never walked a mile in our shoes, they don't see the things we deal with on a daily basis-- they only see little glimpses into our lives and don't understand what it is like to live with autism and deal with it 24/7! They have no clue what meltdowns are like, or how the littlest most unimportant thing can trigger a meltdown, and some of the adjustments we have to make to try to give our child a "normal" live (or as normal as it can be with the autism). They don't see how we have to fight to get our children evaluated, fight to get the insurance companies to cover therapy/treatment/meds, or struggle to get an IEP and make sure the school actually follows the IEP. Maybe if some of them lived our lives for just one day..... it would open their eyes and change their attitudes.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ignorance. I don't have a child with autism ,but I do know that just because they have autism doesn't make them bad children or the result of bad parenting... that said, I do know there are also some parents out there that have children with autism that dont understand it themselves and are bad parents becaues they don't know how to handle it and end up abusing their child. (no I'm not saying you do this, just have seen things like this in the news, etc and I know it's in the minority, but still sad nontheless)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I wish they could walk a mile in our shoes. I have a multihandicapped15YOson,Thor survived multiple strokes when he was 6 weeks old. These same moms that put us down also think they are going to have a healty child the rest of their life,not thinking their child could be in some horrible accident and then they get to join our club:moms of special needs child(ren)
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Some people are ignorant and sadly some people are just cold hearted, and would never understand unless it was to happen to them! Those people are not worth your time, and do not let them steal your joy! Autism and like syndromes are very real, you know that and hopefully the people around you and matter to you do also, thats all the matters! ((hugs))
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:48 AM on Jun. 12, 2011