What should I do????

I'm so upset right now. I was having a good night, good show was on TV (Fringe), my dh was talking w/his best friend on the computer, which through him, is also a friend of mine. He told me get away from him and stay out of his conversation, which is ok, it is his best friend, but then he said "sorry you don't have any friends, but you don't need to butt into my conversations!" (I think it's important to note, it was a topic of interest to all three of us). It's true, I don't, because after realizing my 'friends' were druggies/and or friends of my ex who controlled and abused me for 3 yrs. of my life, weren't my 'friends' after all, I have started a family with dh and have been terrible at trusting anyone to become friends with, I would like friends, but have children and have no idea how to make real friends. His comment really got under my skin and I'm just really really upset about how this night turned out! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• He really didn't have to be so rude to you. It was totally uncalled for!

Yes, I'll admit it is difficult to find and make good friends when you have little ones. I've been there. When my 2 were born I lived away from family and friends that I grew up with and other than my next-door-neighbor, I did meet some ppl at church. Spending time in the nursery made it possible to meet some other moms with children my children's ages. Hang in there, it does get better when your children get in school. Before long you'll be looking back on those days and I realize that those times with my children were precious. They grow up fast, even though at the time you may feel like you're losing part of yourself and missing out on much.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Start a play group get a hobbie go back to school take your kids to the park play sports do sonething with other people
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I would tell him that what he said was hurtful and very rude and to never do that again!!

When we get married our dh are suppose to be are friend. And as we get older it is hard to make friends outside of the family.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• First of all your DH was very disrespectful and rude. I wouldn't put up with that. He's suppose to be your best friend in the world. He hurt your feelings and he needs to apologize.

As for making friends, I'm no help because I have none either. Perhaps try meetups.com Look for common interests groups in your area.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• people tend to get that way when they are with their best friends
    tell him to get off his high horse
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• First and foremost, he owes you and apology! He shouldn't be putting you down, you did a hard and wise thing letting go of those negative friends... i would tell him how he made you feel when he said that.. and see where it goes from there, but that's emotional abuse.. no one deserves to be belittled.
    Ellebaybayxo

Answer by Ellebaybayxo at 4:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• an* apology, sorry!
    Ellebaybayxo

• What lizzybee44 said!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:37 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• What a jerk! I wouldn't talk to him at ALL for the next week. Sounds like he's being an abusive jerk.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:38 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• 1st - Making friends as an adult is so much harder than it was when I was a kid! My dh and each have a coupleof really good friends that we get like that with - I don't like him butting in to my conversations & the sam with him - even if it is a conversation that dirctly involes the other person. It doesn't make it right, and he should apologize for hurting your feelings.
    2nd - you have to put yourself out there and be prpared for a little bit of rejection. There are friendly eople out there with AND without kids that would probably love to be friends with you!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 5:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2011