I'm starting over. I need some advice on how to get started.

I had a point in my life where I didn't care what I ate. Luckily I didn't gain a lot of weight but most of it is around my stomach. I'm going to start exercising again and eating better. Does anyone have an idea on how to get started? I'm talking nutrition, exercises, how many times a week at first and if there are any supplements that can help. I would like to lose about 30 pounds. Not by a certain time but I do need something to curb my appetite.

amotherof1

Asked by amotherof1 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Eat smaller, more frequent meals during the day and load up on fruits & vegetables. Incorporating foods that are high in fiber will fill you up longer and keep you from binging on things that are unhealthy. We all should be getting 25-30 grams of fiber/day. Best wishes!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:46 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You need to try and do some type of cardio at least 3 times a week (I have read and been told), and you need to give your body a day to rest as well! And I agree with the pp, smaller more frequent meals and LOTS of veggies and fruits.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Try to exercise a minimum of three times a week. Also I heard on Dr. Oz the other day that Konjac root curbs food cravings. just ideas..........
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Get rid of the junk food in your home. If you don't have it you won't eat it. We keep a bowl of fruit on our kitchen table which I actually think helps a lot. If you need a snack, that's the first thing you'll see, and chances are you'll grab a piece.

We also have 9" inch plates. Apparently back in the 1950's plate sizes were between 9 and 10" Now they are seriously between 11" and 13" inches. If that doesn't mean anything go to the store and look at the difference between those sizes.

Physiologically you're going to feel like you're not being jipped if your plate is full. So if you can afford to switch to smaller plates. Temporarily (or permanently) get rid of the bigger plates. That way when you sit down to a meal that is proportionally what you should be eating- you won't feel like you are losing out on something.

That and read the labels. You won't believe the calories in some things.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• For me, I have to get ride of the crap in the house. If it is there I will eat it.
    I go to the Y and work with a trainer, if I am paying for it I am more likely to go. She has us do weights 2x with her, then the in between days do cardio for at least 20 min. She says interval cardio is better and to make sure your heart rate is in the fat burner area or you will so a lot more work with less benefit. Find a buddy to help keep you motivated and accountable.
    GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I am on a 1600 calorie diet(which I never eat in a day) and what has helped me is write down everything--for example this morning I had 1 cup malt-o-meal; 1 slice wheat bread with margarine and 1 cup Orange Juice and then I have a book that breaks it down according to how many calories; how many carbohydrates and etc; so that might help you also it is sometimes easier when you have things written down to know how much you are consuming in a day; but you may also want to consult with a dietician or your doctor before starting anything; take walks; go for a swim; plant a garden
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011