flying and driving with a an almost 3yr old? Help!!??!!??

I have flown with my son before about 4 or 5 times, he has his own seat and we are going to put him next to the window so he can stand up and look out.
Well I need suggestions on what to bring and do with him. A movie/tv show will only last maybe an hour. Flight is about 3-4hrs and the drive would be about 7-8 hrs. The flight is during the day and he doesnt take naps anymore so that wont work. He will more then likely go to sleep in the car. I just don't know anymore. I have coloring books books to read portable dvd player what else am I forgetting?
Thanks

TravisJohnsmama

Asked by TravisJohnsmama at 12:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We just took a 22hr cartrip with 22mo old and 7yr old. We brought lots of snacks. Stuff they never usually get to eat. Doritios, cookies etc..... Also went to the dollar store and stacked up on toys and games that they have never played with and filled an entire bag and hid it under my seat. When the youngest started getting fussy I would pull out a new toy. Believe it or not a toothbrush bought us and hour of quiet time. With my oldest I brought a stack of movies he had never watched and 2 of his alltime favorite movies. Good Luck!!!!!!
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• we went to colorado with our 12 and 2 1/2 yro. drove most of the way. i gave them each a bag with a few things in it that were new. doodle pads crayons etc like mom above dollar store stuff. then as we went along if they got crabby or itchy i'd produce 1 thing new from my bag! i couldn't belive how i spent 10.00 each and how well it worked! even the food thing candy they don't ususally get, gum etc......worked well
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We have taken MANY LONG (18-24 hours) road trips throughout my youngest boys lives. Here is what we did. We took our laptop so that they could watch cd's, play games......., we also took coloring books and artsy stuff they can color and draw and such, we also packed two bags each (bought those insulated lunch bags because they were the perfect size) they filled them up with toys and they'd play with one bag and when bored with those toys we'd switch the bag so they were playing with "new toys", we got books on dvd to play so they could listen and be read to, we played eye spy (age appropriate) game (like, do you see a tree, a green car, a blue van...) and of course snacks!! I hope this helps!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• snacks, maybe you could borrow a leappad by leapfrog for his age from someone. I love those for keeping the kids occupied. Good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The V-Teck is a huge help for my daughter. We fly to Hawaii every year and this game system teaches them about animals, learning, art, music and more. It can be expensive at first but it is really worth it! Your child can use this up to the age of ten! Good luck.
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 12:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Last week I just got back to GA from Indiana, 15 hour drive, My friend and I drove straight through with my 4 yr old and her 18 month old, NOT BY CHOICE! long story, but what saved us from the headache and kids from boredom is this little dvd player we have with small screen, it folds kind of like a laptop, its very compact, they cost around 60$ and come in good use not only for road trips! I also have an adapter, plugs into your car lighter, and gives you 2 "house outlets", for you to plug it into, lots of snacks and throw a bunch of fun stuff in the back for them to play with, worked wonders! =) good luck
    jax639

Answer by jax639 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• when we drove to Niagara from Georgia I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of little toys my 2 and a half year old had never seen. I wrapped them in tissue paper and every hour or so he got to open one up. I used a lot of tape to make the opening take a few min to. It worked well for the way up but the way down was still a little rougher even with the new toys...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'll say a prayer for you!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008