Not sure how yo answer dughters question about GOD......

Last night my daughter told me how much she enjoyed praying to GOD and how much she loved him. She then turned around and asked if GOD was a bad name. I told her not at all! Why would you ask that? She then asked me, "why can't we talk about God in school - how come he's not allowed"?
I had no idea what to say to her. I told her not everyone believes in God, some people believe differently and then stopped it there. I wish I hadn't said anything till I got some advice. Any help would be great!

ljlM

Asked by ljlM at 12:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would also say that God is very much ALLOWED in school. He is all around it. But He is very personal in His presence. She should know that God never leaves HER just because she is in a public place where not everyone loves God the way she does.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would have done the same thing. I've explained to my kids already that not everyone believes in God. Everyone gets to make their own choice. It's crazy that she already realizes He's not allowed in our schools. Kids are so perceptive.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i don't know how old she is but i think you did a good job. !
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You said the right thing.
    Anonymous

• You said the right thing. You don't need to go into details just keep it simple until she gets older and asks again. =) We tell our boys the same thing.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 12:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• She is 7 1/2 and relies on God for everything. She prays about sick teachers, mean kids, poor kids, on her own life, down to Durango needing a lot of snow for mom and dads work. She is highly aware of her feelings of God and I hope she doesn't feel that God is different with getting mixed messages at school.
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 12:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You gave a great answer.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think you gave an excellent answer...
    Adnil

Answer by Adnil at 1:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008