Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

My sd is 18, not living at home and wants dad to pay her dental bills.

She is living with her friend and friends parents. She still has one year of high school left so I feel it is our obligation, even though we don't have the money. Our engine just blew up in our car and we really don't have the funds right now. My mom didn't pay my shit after I turned 18. It was my sds choice to move out, she wanted her freedom and now she has it and won't even speak to her father cuz she's a spoiled brat and he didn't spoil her the way she wanted. What to do?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

This question is closed.
Answers (26)
  • Ummm... if she isn't even talking to your husband yet shows up to give him a bill.... frankly I would tell her that she chose to move out to have her freedom like an adult, so buck up and take responsibility for her own bills like the adult she wants to be!

    Answer by momof2redhedz at 12:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

  • Tough call, however, I am going to have to say, that if it is something that could interfere with her health in any way, I, as a mother, would go out of my way to help her pay for it. Health comes first.

    Answer by m-avi at 1:14 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Think of it this way-- if she had been living with you and not talking to her dad, then you'd be on the hook for it all. At least she's saving you the cost of room and board. If this had been your daughter, what would you have done? Just because a kid wants to move out doesn't mean they are fully capable of making it on their own, especially at the beginning. I would pay the bill.

    Answer by Busimommi at 2:06 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • I was going to say yes until I read the last sentence. If she thought she could do it on her own, let her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • This isn't a new car she's her dental health. Yes, you should help her if she needs it.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:24 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Sounds like she is still his responsibility and in school so I would say yes. Obviously they need to spend some time on their relationship too, there is normally no than meets the eye when a teenager wants to leave the house and doesnt talk to her father, sounds like there is probably some unresolved issues, adults always want to blame the children, but its the adults that have raised them that often have a big part in the problem, not saying this is your case, but everyone plays their part.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • She is not asking for luxury, but dental care, I would help her in a heart beat.

    Answer by older at 7:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • If, when my son is 18+, needs help, I would try, but I guess it is different in your case. She doesn't talk to her dad at all? How is she asking for him to pay her dental bills if she doesn't talk? That is rough, I mean, she doesn't seem to want anything to do with you guys but she wants your money (for whatever reason). I would have a problem with that.

    Answer by ILoveCade at 1:20 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • Why can't your family and her mother split the cost? or if she's not living at home, she can apply for her own health insurance that will cover it through S.S. being that she's 18 and living out of the house.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:18 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

  • otherwise, if those aren't options, I'd just pay for it. It is his kid, and she is still in highschool.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2011