How to get your water to break naturally at home?

dede234

Asked by dede234 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I got my water to break by walking a lot. Then again, it was already my DD's due date... she was born at 4:34 the next AM... GL
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:52 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It's better to have your water break later than sooner. Contractions first, then water breaking. If you physically try to break your water, you can harm yourself and your baby. If it's done in the hospital, it is done under very specific conditions. Otherwise, you can get prolapsed cord, which is when the cord is stuck between the baby's head and your cervix, which means no oxygen to your baby, which can be fatal. You can do all sorts of damage. Please stick to things like walking and sex to encourage labor. Baby will come when Baby is ready. They come when they come for a reason. This part of pregnancy is a big test of patience. You can do it. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:23 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You can try massaging the opening of your cervix which will help soften it and progress dilation which can help break your water, but I don't recommend it. You should just let nature take its' course.
    HikingMommy3

Answer by HikingMommy3 at 4:34 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• It's better to have your water break later than sooner. <---exactly
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 5:31 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I know the movies show water breaking as the first sign of labor, but it's completely not true. Those that have their water break before they start having contractions have to be put on drugs to induce contractions and then they are on a time line until they will have to get a C-section, you can only have your water leaking for so long before they take you in for one.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 6:42 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Walking around with your water broken is messy and a nuisance.
    Why would you want that?
    Then you have to take extra precautions not to get an infection.
    It can still be weeks before you labor / give birth.

That is a LOT of maxi pads and laundry....

Water breaking is not a joke~
    There is an important reason your water bag is intact. Important to respect this!
    Be thankful you don't have to walk around leaking~~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:02 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• You really shouldn't try. There are risks associated with having your water break too soon. If the baby is not low enough it could result in a cord prolapse. Keeping the sac intact also helps prevent infections. Plus if you think it will automatically start your labor, it may not. Then you would have to go in a possibly be induced which carries a ton of risks of it's own.

Be patient. It will happen when it's suppose to.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:40 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Bow Chicka bow wow....Sex it up!
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 12:58 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• my water broke at 37 wks.. on its own .. I was in labor for 22 hours.. they had to pump water back into me because the baby was @ risk not having any fluid around her.. I was being induced for 22hours.. I was very close to having to have a c-section if I didnt progress when I did.. for the life of me I don't know why someone would try to get their water to break..
    also.. my daughter had to be rushed to the NICU because I ran a fever during the labor from my water breaking too early and they had to keep her for observation in case she got an infection.. so don't do it.. the baby comes when the baby is ready.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:44 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• oh and her heart rate was dropping ..it was a very scary experience.
    Emmajosmommy